Austrian Black Pine (Imbedded Photos)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is a tree I've had for a couple years now... I took it to our convention last fall and Kathy Shaner and I worked on it together. I put it in a Dale Cochoy pot today and I'm deeply delighted with how it's coming along. It was a rangy looking thing when I first got it, but with good pruning I got really vigorous back budding which let me get it into this image. A few more years and it'll be a right smart looking tree. :)

Enjoy....

V

Austrian-Black-Pine_Cochoy-.jpg

Austrian-Black-Pine_Cochoy4.jpg

Austrian-Black-Pine_Cochoy3.jpg

Austrian-Black-Pine_Cochoy2.jpg

snobird

Mame
Reaction score
Beautiful, I like the rugged look.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great tree, Vic, and it has come a long ways since I first saw it!

I had planned to start a thread here tonight on an Austrian Black pine of a completely different sort (hope you don't mind - a strange cooncidence), and yours gives me hope for the needle reduction it will need!

Great to see you and Eric today - I'll be sending an email soon . . .

Will

bonsaiTOM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This truly makes me think differently about Austrian Blacks. I never would have considered one before. Superb.
And ooh so gnarly!!

Last edited:

woodguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very nice. This does seem to be an under used species.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Gnarly is right! This is one of those good bonsai that just feels right despite the wrong branch locations. I think the nice bark, gnarly branches, short needles, and the excellent photography really make this tree! Thanks for showing it!
Si

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Lovely tree, Victrinia -- though I'm not so certain about the beer.:eek: I'm not wild about fruit beers, and a fruity pale ale . . . .:)

I'll look forward to future reincarnations.

Oddly, last time I saw Dale I almost bought -- if not THIS pot, one closely like it. It goes better with your tree than anything I have right now.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Lovely tree, Victrinia -- though I'm not so certain about the beer.:eek: I'm not wild about fruit beers, and a fruity pale ale . . . .:)

I had the same thought... However in the spirit of fairness I would give one a try! ;)

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Great tree miss Vic and I'd like to echo the others...........welcome back we've missed you.
Cheers G

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like the natural look of this tree. It really could be a full size tree in nature.. It is very healthy too.. Do you have any pics of the tree before the work..??

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
glad everyone likes the tree... when Vic first bought the tree I was sceptical.... on a whim I decided in early August to attack it with a vengence (it was obviously healthy and happy) and cut it back using Daniel's pine pruning techniques (my wife is generous enough to let me do crazy things) ... timing was a little late but we were having such a nice year I was certain it would be ok. It surprised us both and set my beliefs in Daniel's techniques in concrete (even more so than before) the back budidng was insane and the needle length is amazingly short. I believe this was due to the fact it was still in its original container in which it had lived for ohh so many years before coming to us and was very much full of vigourous roots.

ALL the foliage you see here is back budding, when Vic and Kathy worked on the tree they removed all the old foliage and worked with the abundant new shoots that had popped. I was truly amazed to see a tree I wasn't sure about come to be something so amazing. Of course Vic had known all along which is why I have learned to never doubt her vision.

As to the beer that is one of my fav summer pale ales and you won't find a finer more well crafted apricot ale on this planet. If you haven't ever tryed one... you should.... it will change the way you think.

This is also an example of why one should always consider buying pots even if you don't have a tree for it... the Chochoy is one that Vic has had for many years having purchased it sometime before we had met. Never let an amazing pot pass you by... you will find a tree for it one day and will then always know why you purchased it.

There are a few before pictures and maybe if we dig deep enough even one before the pruning... not sure but I bet Vic will look for them soon enough...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Deepest thanks for the warm reception of both the tree and myself. Sorry to have been gone so long... life has a way to going in spurts for me sometimes, and things have to be set aside for a time in order to maintain balance. :)

Now Si... I have to know what you mean by "wrong branch locations" :D.... aside from a lack of a lower right hand branch (which I think would actually be a hinderance more than a help for the image), I'm not sure what you mean about the branches. The branches in their relative locations makes the flow and engery of the tree. Of course, it's not an obvious tree when first approached, but I had no doubt about it's great possibilities.

I think maybe "unconventional" is a better term than "wrong" perhaps? ;) For the branch locations to have been formulaic would have taken the character right out of the tree.

Warmly,

V

Tink32

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Off centered ales for off centered people! Dogfish Head makes excellent hand crafted ales.Palo Santo Marron and 120 min. IPA being amoung my favs.

hank mazur

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5 A
Gnarly is right! This is one of those good bonsai that just feels right
despite the wrong branch locations
. I think the nice bark, gnarly branches, short needles, and the excellent photography really make this tree! Thanks for showing it!
Si

Si, in nature, the Branch locations are considered the ideal "natural" placement for survival. Take a page out of Vickys book, grab your camera and spend some time in a forest taking pictures of the top of trees for inspirations. The older the growth, the better. In nature, branches are grown to insure survival, not because it looks pretty, that is unless you are a sunlight hungry spruce, which grows branches every 8 to 10 inches apart.:)

Hank

hank mazur

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5 A
Victrinia, Glad your back. We all missed you. Oh yah, about the tree, looks "perfectly" natural, to me. I just absolutly love it. Do you have any clue as to how old it is.:)

Top Bottom