Austrian Black Pine Potential Bonsai?

Roscoee

Seed
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm just starting out looking into bonsai, so a complete novice. Bought a tree from a friend, hasnt started out as a bonsai but could I make it into a bonsai? If so how would I go about this? It's about 2ft high.

Thanks,
20200906_133814.jpg20200906_133825.jpg
Ross

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Round here these are difficult cuz I've only seen em in clay and burlap. The worst bonsai situation.

I watched one planted in a neighboring yard go from this to quite thick in 4 years, and it never really got too tall.

Seems you're hurting for low branching. So consider something tall and thin and Literati like.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Roscoee

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Where do you suggest I start with this?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Always roots up.

Base first, crown last.

Sorce

Roscoee

Seed
Reaction score
Think I'll leave it to adjust to my garden first. When should I start trimming the roots and repotting? Then when would it be best to start shaping and training branches?
Thanks

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello all,

I'm just starting out looking into bonsai, so a complete novice. Bought a tree from a friend, hasnt started out as a bonsai but could I make it into a bonsai? If so how would I go about this? It's about 2ft high.

Thanks,
View attachment 327333View attachment 327334
Ross
There are several considerations with Austrian Black Pine. I started with some and within a few years planted them in the landscape.
Advantages, hardier than JBP, easily obtained, relatively inexpensive.
Disadvantages, Single flush so slower to develop. Smooth bark takes longer to bark up than JBP and JRP. Bark easily damaged by wiring in early stages. I did not find they back budded as readily for interior foliage development. Long internodes between whorls. Branches tend to bulge at base.
Your particular tree!
Visible nebari ( root spread is weak ) difficult to correct.
Trunk is fairly straight.
Lower branching is extended with little foliage.

The steps I would take if wishing to develop for Bonsai would be to check the nebari and do some correction/improvement depending on what is found. ( Late winter/early spring) Put some wire on the trunk to add movement. ( Late fall/Early Winter) Then plant in the ground to grow out for ten years. Use the left side uppermost branch as a sacrifice leader to quickly extend and thicken the trunk. Next June after the growing season is well under way I would trim back the two lower branches a bit as well as the top right portion. The purpose being to establish the apical leader and possibly cause some bud back on the lower branches. Thinning the needles on the lower portion of the apical leader will help to retain lower foliage and induce back budding with increased light! I would keep well watered and fertilized while growing it out.
In short, I would attempt to develop the main characteristics ( Roots, Trunk, lower branching and interior foliage before trying to create a bonsai design or style from this tree.

Top Bottom