Austrian black pine question(s)

Fimbrethil

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey, Austrian black pine question(S).

1. Do they back bud from areas with or without needles?

2. What is the best way to get them to back bud? (young tree, I've had it for three years and it was about 18 inches tall when I bought it).

3. When trunk chopping, how much can sefely be removed at a time?

My goal is to first get the tree to back bud (its kinda lanky). Then trunk chop it (there is no movement in the trunk) wire up a new leader and continue the development from there.

All input is appreciated, this is my first venture into pine bonsai, and my first post here! (brave new world)

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welcome to the world of pines. They are my favorite subject for bonsai.

Showing some photos would help!

FYI, My experience lies mainly in non-grafted Japanese White Pines and Japanese Black Pines. They are the opposite ends of the pine spectrum and anything else lies somewhere in between.

1) They will bud back on wood that is one or two years old, but anything older will be a long shot.

2) Most pines don't back bud readily like deciduous trees. You usually have to induce it with the following techniques:
Keep it in full sun, fertilize heavily, pruning back, and carefully pluck or cut old/faded needles in late fall/winter to expose dormant buds between needles should also encourage back budding.

3) I've never trunk chopped before. I know it can be done safely with very vigorous pine species, but I'm not sure about Austrian Black Pines. Generally, if you have lots of low branches you can trunk chop safely above the first 1 or 2 nodes on the lower trunk.

Pines are great for their hardiness and minimal care requirements, however they are slower to respond and require a more strategic approach. That being said, it's best to stick to ONE major task per year. Don't needle pluck or prune branches if you want them to grow out.

Hope that helps!

T

Fimbrethil

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Tanlu, Great info. I've read everything I can get my hands on. I,ve found alot of conflicting info out there and am trying to sort it all out for my climate.

Every little bit helps!

Top Bottom