Austrian Black Pine

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Starting a thread of an Austrian pine that I purchased three years ago at a local nursery. It had been there for some years semi neglected at the back along with a few other trees that for some reason no one wanted. The tree was declining in health and needed some TLC. I have since brought it back to a much healthier state by giving it lots of sunlight, water and fertilizer.

The tree appealed to me for a few reasons: Lots of low growth, good taper and movement and nice, aged looking bark.

Below is the tree as it looked last May. At that time I reduced its height about 10 inches by cutting off some of the strongest leaders up top.

Now inside the studio, here is the pine prior to its first styling a week ago. There were two sides I was considering. Below is option A.

And here was option B. This was the side I decided to use.

Before doing any work I made some sketches to study a few different possibilities. I considered single, twin as well as triple trunk options. The bottom sketch in this picture was the design I liked most: a multi trunk design.

In order to find a better and more dynamic planting angle the tree was tilted about 45 degrees to the left.

These are some pics of the work in progress.

Although I had in mind a triple trunk design, I started to lean towards a design where the left lower trunk would be treated more in a semi cascading fashion as shown below.

The next day I came back fresh to reassess and finish the work. I decided to scrap the idea of the semi-cascading trunk and stick to the original plan and create the more upright triple trunk design I had in mind from the beginning. Below is the completed work for now. The tree has a base of 5" with a current height of 20" from soil level and a width of 36".

Last a before and after pic. It will be fertilized heavily and left to grow and regain strength for the next couple of years.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Always love the first work. Somehow the first work always manages to capture the true feeling while later on down the road when the tree settles down and becomes more refined this rugged nature of first inspiration is lost. Not bad....just different

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Very nice transition from stock. Looking forward to seeing this progress going forward.

Reaction score
Fantastic tree. Some things you might take with you for second styling. You might crack the right branch a bit so it starts more at an angle. I really like the flow of the 3 trunks. Keep the gap between the 2 left trunks open enough so the flow isn't stopped (all based on 2D so will feel different in person). It is a first styling and a good one. Thanks for showing.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice feel, very organic and natural. Good material, good work!
Caution: pines are a slippery slope...hope you have plenty of room on the benches!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Great looking pine! was this styled yesterday or back in may?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Always love the first work. Somehow the first work always manages to capture the true feeling while later on down the road when the tree settles down and becomes more refined this rugged nature of first inspiration is lost. Not bad....just different

Al I agree. In looking at trees that have been worked on and refined for years, some look old and tired to me. Through the process they've lost their vibrancy for lack of a better word. I think this is something we all must keep in mind as our trees age and keep that sense of immediacy alive within the design.

Fantastic tree. Some things you might take with you for second styling. You might crack the right branch a bit so it starts more at an angle. I really like the flow of the 3 trunks. Keep the gap between the 2 left trunks open enough so the flow isn't stopped (all based on 2D so will feel different in person). It is a first styling and a good one. Thanks for showing.

Thanks Dirk! That is a good suggestion as I think it would be nice for that first right branch to have a bit more of a pronounced exit angle. As mentioned I will wait until the next go around. Indeed the branch right above the third trunk's apex is going towards the back and not right on top of the apex as it may appear on the photo. Thanks gain for your comments!:)

Nice feel, very organic and natural. Good material, good work!
Caution: pines are a slippery slope...hope you have plenty of room on the benches!

Yes, yes, yes I know. And you're one to blame it on! Damn you Brian! Thank you as always for your feedback :)

Great looking pine! was this styled yesterday or back in may?

About a week ago. Photographed the completed styled tree on Saturday.

You're a gentleman, scholar, and artist!

Haha well maybe pick two for I cannot be all three :rolleyes:

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
cool- never styled a pine in late summer-always in fall-never thought of that

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great find for a standard nursery Austrian pine. All I ever see are straight/single-trunked specimens.

Chris

sdavis

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A very nice tree and a great job of wiring and design!
Do you know if this was the species Pinus nigra (Austrian black pine) or one of the cultivars?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
A very nice tree and a great job of wiring and design!
Do you know if this was the species Pinus nigra (Austrian black pine) or one of the cultivars?

Thanks sdavis! Honestly I have no idea if it's a cultivar or not. It did not come with any label but owner did say it was an Austrian pine that he had for quite some time just sitting there.

A great result from quite complicated material! You most definitely nailed the initial styling. Perhaps, an update with re-pot next spring?

Thanks Dave! I wanted to ask a few of you thoughts on repotting next year. In lieu on how much work has been done on this tree, I was planning not to repot it until spring '17. Is this ok or do you think putting the tree into a smaller training box next year would be ok?

Also, this tree has sat outside with no protection during winter without any problems whatsoever. Would it be advisable to give it protection this coming winter having gone through all this work?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
If the tree remains healthy through the rest of the growing season and continues to look good next spring, I wouldn't hesitate to do some root work. As far as this coming winter goes, it's never a bad thing to provide some protection after heavy work. Having said that, I suspect you did the styling early enough in the season that it shouldn't be an issue this winter. Keeping it out of the winter wind and sun will be important.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Wonderful, just wonderful. Thank you for sharing.

Top Bottom