Austrian Pine Ideas

Icefy

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I picked up this Austrian Pine about a month ago, and have just been watering it and keeping it outside till I decide what to do with it. It’s been growing very well it seems at least.
I mainly just don’t know what to do with it design wise. Do I do a trunk chop? Maybe trim it back and buy multiple others to make a large forest? Cut and bend the trunk? I’ve never tried to use a tree at this stage, so I don’t really know what to do. It was just cheap, and I wanted a pine
😅

It also probably needs a repot, it’s just one big root ball right now that slides out of the nursery pot. So any info as to when to repot, and how, would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

AA5E03C1-5B7B-4C31-BF95-F0C4B6D356D5.png

Last edited:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
At this stage I'd say you have many options. Also probable the reason you can't see inspiration here is that there's not really much to work with so you need to look into the future to see possibilities. For the same reason I can't give you any one style option that's better than another.

Whenever I see
It was just cheap, and I wanted a pine
I get prepared to see a tree that needs lots of work and lots of time. This one needs both.

The first thing that stands out is a trunk with very little taper. Trunks with little taper can be used for literati but literati is hard to do well. Other styles really need good trunk taper though you can sometimes get away with less taper in group plantings.

Second feature is thinner low branches and strong apex which is almost universal for young, unmanaged stock.

Trunk chop and regrow will help to add taper. It will also enhance the lower branches. For better results allow for several cycles of chop and grow with each cycle taking 2-5 years.
Allowing sacrifice branches will add trunk thickness and may also help with trunk taper. Allow 3-10 years for sacrifice branches to have appreciable results.

At this stage you need to decide what you'd like to achieve with this tree then work on a plan to grow that. If you have a better idea of where you want to go others may be better able to advise on how to achieve that plan.

Top Bottom