Austrian pine- Oregon green

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok, this is me starting to post some trees that I have been reluctant to share before. This is an Austrian pine 'Oregon Green' I got a couple years ago from a garden center. It was an end of season clearance sale and I haven't done much with it other than cut back a few branches here and there. From the minor trimmings I've given it, I've learned that it buds back pretty well, even low on the trunk. When I bought it, I was interested in the dead areas on the trunk. It is very vigorous and healthy.

Next spring I plan to chop it back more. I don't know if I should take it easy and remove only a couple of the upper whorls of branches from the top and wait for more back budding or go all the way and take the whole top right fork of the tree off, using the first branch as the new leader. The bends on that line seem pretty angular though, not sure. I guess once that branch becomes the entire lifeline of the tree, it might bulk up faster and the bend might soften a little, but I won't count on it. Some creative carving and tweaking is probably in the future to make that area look more natural. Any thoughts are welcome.

Austrian pine oregon green.jpg
austrian close-up.jpg
austrian above.jpg

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I know near to nothing about pines but I like the needles of this one...short and compact. Looks like awfully lot of foliage to remove if you go with your sudden chop...better consult others before you do. Better safe than sorry.

I killed my first JBP that way :(

Good luck with it!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It does indeed look super healthy. Looks like it's ready for you to do some work on it. Will you wire it this winter? I think it will help you find the tree in there...

Thanks for posting a tree. It's all about posting the trees...

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a grafted dwarf variety, correct ? What does the graft look like ?

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is not a dwarf as far as I can tell, it is almost as tall as me right now. The graft is not so great and there is a bit of reverse taper because the cultivar is more vigorous than the base stock. I think I will take it down in stages we'll see what happens.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I meant dwarf as far as the needles. They are shorter than typical Austrian pine.

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can see how something interesting could be formed with your tree. The tree could be chopped at either fork to create movement. Or one of the two forks could be jinned.

If you're saying that tree is almost as tall as you are then I would make a chop at the red line line. The blue rectangle is where a jin could be made. And instead of tossing away that chopped tall half, consider an air layer.

Austrian pine oregon green copy.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Air layers are difficult at best on pines, although perhaps this one is a good candidate. Maybe a ground layer would work, that would be kind of radical, but I wonder if a pine would do a ground layer more easily than an air layer.
Hmmmm,- anybody?

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I chose to chop it down in stages over the past few years. It it still doing great, with a couple more branches to cut back a little. Taking it slow and easy has worked out well so far.

Attachments

• 20160811_114945.jpg
    20160811_114945.jpg
    476.9 KB · Views: 148

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like what you've done with this pine. Also I like both - where it is and your intention.

I've got one P. nigra 'Pigmaea' and it's really a wild tree. It back buds everywhere without any insult.

How do you prune yours?

Last edited:

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Doc,
Earlier thjs year I drove.my son to SLC for a summer internship and saw one of these Oregon Greens at the local Lowes. BEAUTIFUL tree!
He's bringing one home to me next week.
CW

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its about time a 2012 thread has a good Friggin update!

Real nice work!

Sorce

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
CWTurner, it's a great tree. Very tough and resilient from my experience so far. It backbuds well when I've chopped it back. You will like it. Maybe you will be braver than I have been and be able to progress faster.
JudyB, I did research and this variety is a dwarf only growing up about 12 to 20 feet in the landscape rather than 50-60 of the original species. I didn't know that before...
Petegreg, as far as pruning all I have done is basic chopping back with a saw on the trunks and pruning shears on the branches. Nothing special yet for refinement, candle pruning or needle reduction at all. I also haven't done any root work either except to slip pot it into that big nursery pot after I got it to help the trunk grow.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank You!

I absolutely love to see these!

Sorce

Top Bottom