Austrian pine- Oregon green

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just curious, @plant_dr , at what time of year did you make your cuts? I've got one in the ground and I'm thinking of chopping down a bit. Winter? Spring?

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did mine in winter. Especially the trunk chops because it bled a lot.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Can confirm. The fall or winter. And the wounds are closing extraordinarily fast and well.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mid- late winter before the sap started to flow

girv

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@plant_dr Any update on this tree? I have a similar austrian pine and looking for some inspiration, already did reduce the tree down about 30%, planning to wait till next fall/winter for the next reduction.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@plant_dr Any update on this tree? I have a similar austrian pine and looking for some inspiration, already did reduce the tree down about 30%, planning to wait till next fall/winter for the next reduction.
I repotted it into a different grow box over the winter, but nothing major to show right now...I can take a picture tomorrow.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I plan to let the apex extend a lot to thicken the upper sections of trunk/ create better taper, continue to develop the foliage pads, etc. . . Long term project ;)

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Summer update. Compare to 2012 image.

20190708_180932_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Austrian pine oregon green.jpg

Interesting how plans change. In the beginning I talked about using that existing damage to the trunk in the design but that got chopped off.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Summer update. Compare to 2012 image.

View attachment 251014

View attachment 251015

Interesting how plans change. In the beginning I talked about using that existing damage to the trunk in the design but that got chopped off.
It's coming along. Great work on this tree. I have 2 but not of this cultivar and my needles are alot longer. Thinking I should have passed on these trees, but if I can't get needles to reduce, in the ground they go at the new house for landscaping trees

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's coming along. Great work on this tree. I have 2 but not of this cultivar and my needles are alot longer. Thinking I should have passed on these trees, but if I can't get needles to reduce, in the ground they go at the new house for landscaping trees
It is always possible to replace the foliage with some other pine foliage, p.thunbergii, say.

... just a thought.

Top Bottom