Autumn/Fall - What do you look forward to, most?

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
We all have many tasks we are patiently (or not) waiting to perform in Autumn/Fall or Winter (sorry Australians, this doesn’t quite apply to you yet!); so, what one from the list are you most looking forward to, and on what tree?

Wiring a tree? Pruning it? Maybe carving, applying some LS to deadwood.. post what it is and maybe the tree too?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
i rarely get great autumn colours, im looking forward to leaf drop and seeing the naked structure on my deciduous trees, accessing what improvements have been made if any. tidying up unwanted bits, twigs/branches etc. wiring/styling. weeding, removing tired looking soil from the top layer and replacing it. slip potting, re potting, digging up.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Seeing spring flowers on my crapapple!

Besides that .. Hoping to spend a bit of time on this Olive over winter:
View attachment 334261

the naked images on deciduous trees dont interest you over the dormant period?
i love seeing them in the landscape too, the autumn colours then the naked structures. maybe youre a conifer guy

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
the naked images on deciduous trees dont interest you over the dormant period?
Yes they do. I am just looking forward to the end of roughly frost-point rainy weather for the next 5 months.
I do look forward to seeing how the crabapple developed over the season.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
i see a lot of folk on facebook sharing their maples in summer and autumn when the colours are great but never sharing them after leaf drop. could never get my head around it. maybe theyre hiding something. for me, the dormant season is undoubtedly the best time to show a deciduous tree.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am looking forward to making pots this winter.
I was in the landscape design / install business for 40 years. After a grueling spring and summer the fall became my favorite season and I much enjoyed the winter when everything was bedded down.
I have enjoyed watching the leaves drop on my hornbeams so I can see the fine branching.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
What fall/winter? 😛

Seriously, I enjoy the pruning and wiring of deciduous trees most. I choose to do huge chops mid summer.

followed closely by Pulling needles, pruning and cleaning up JBP.

But I can start repotting almost anytime after new years, but that feels more like spring to me.

Top Bottom