Autumn flowering azalea

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Just found one of my bonsai azaleas has produced out of season flowers. Not unusual but nice to see so thought I'd share with the B'nut community.

IMG_2319.jpg
IMG_2321.jpg
IMG_2288.jpg
IMG_2287.jpg
The tree was collected from a garden before building renovations. I have no idea what cultivar this is but reasonably sure it's one of the Indica family which are the most common landscape azaleas down here.
Flowers are quite large. In spring, petal blight is a big problem for this cultivar. This time, with the warmer, drier weather, the flowers have opened with no problems.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sweet! Looks like Encore azalea.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Thanks for your input.
Encore azaleas were bred for multiple flowering each year so I guess that could be correct but they were developed in the 1980s. Only a couple of varieties were imported into Australia before a total ban on Rhododendron imports. We seem to have a few more varieties more recently though. This azalea is probably a bit older than that timeline - around 1970s given when the buildings were completed and gardens planted - so maybe not one of the true Encores.
Picking a variety name out of the thousands of registered azalea cultivars is more likely to be wrong than right as so many look similar.
In any event, I don't care about variety names. I grow trees because they look good, not because they have a name.

Top Bottom