Autumn pruning trident maples

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I have not considered grafting branches on this one for some years. I will have another look and see if there's any possibilities. Not sure whether I want to go through the entire branch development process again though. If it was just a branch or 2 maybe but this tree has multiple issues.
Lack of taper in the top part of the trunk is common with tridents grown after a trunk chop. We hurry to develop the new leader to full height and forget about taper until it is too late. Trunk chop at this stage would be a risk. There is very little chance of moving any of those branches to make them into new leaders so a new top would rely on growing or grafting a new shoot to replace the apex. Not sure if I want to take the time for that either, not to mention having a large new wound on the back of the trunk.
If you have any suggestions on techniques that would help with any of the changes you're suggesting I'm always happy to consider alternatives.
All of my remedies for the shortcomings of this tree would involve some form of grafting, and/or perhaps a sacrifice branch near the top to improve the taper. If this tree was in my yard, I'd be trying something to improve the upper portion because the lower portion is worth the effort.

sidetrack1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have not considered grafting branches on this one for some years. I will have another look and see if there's any possibilities. Not sure whether I want to go through the entire branch development process again though. If it was just a branch or 2 maybe but this tree has multiple issues.
Lack of taper in the top part of the trunk is common with tridents grown after a trunk chop. We hurry to develop the new leader to full height and forget about taper until it is too late. Trunk chop at this stage would be a risk. There is very little chance of moving any of those branches to make them into new leaders so a new top would rely on growing or grafting a new shoot to replace the apex. Not sure if I want to take the time for that either, not to mention having a large new wound on the back of the trunk.
If you have any suggestions on techniques that would help with any of the changes you're suggesting I'm always happy to consider alternatives.
Shibui, you have some great looking maples like i hope to have some day :)

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Thanks @Dav4 your enthusiasm has renewed my interest in this tree a little. I will take some time to consider what is really there and see if I can see any reasonable way forward.
There are many trees in my yard that I consider far better prospects than this one. I guess that's the difference.

Shibui, you have some great looking maples like i hope to have some day
Thanks @sidetrack1 there are many ways to end up with good bonsai. Some elect to purchase the best stock they can obtain, others take the longer road and develop trees from scratch. Either way you'll need to start enough to allow for inevitable mistakes and time is the biggest element in better bonsai.

Top Bottom