Autumn repotting - JBP

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
This is a first for me but many of the best bonsai growers over here have been repotting pines in Autumn for many years with great success. Up to now I have been repotting in the traditional late spring window. Moving to autumn repotting will take some of the pressure off that short spring repot season.

This one of mine really needed a repot.
IMGP6591.JPG

The roots have lifted the tree out of the pot at least 1"
IMGP6594.JPG

I thought I had only put this tree in the pot last year but the roots tell a different story.
IMGP6596.JPG
There are at least 3 layers of new roots there!!!

Out with the root shears.
Bottom of the root ball sheared.
Then a few centimetres off around the sides
IMGP6597.JPGIMGP6598.JPG

and back into the pot with some fresh mix.
IMGP6600.JPG

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Autumn repotting is ideal for those in areas with mild winters. And for those that can keep their trees frost free all winter. It is especially good if you live in an area where the summers are brutally hot and dry. Gives your trees time to recover before the stress of summer.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Mild winters is probably a good description of my climate though not strictly frost free here. Temps dip below freezing many nights and occasionally down to -5C over winter but the ground certainly does not freeze. Pine roots continue to grow through winter here so we get good response to fertiliser applied all year round.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
sorry to dig up an old ancient post, my JBP came in a nursery bag last week, so this is good news for me

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
sorry to dig up an old ancient post, my JBP came in a nursery bag last week, so this is good news for me
Are you really in Guangzhou? That place is warm year round and the only thing I’d be careful about is keep it out of excessive rain. Guangzhou is really humid based on what I know…

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I put my pre bonsai jbp on the ground last winter and they rooted into the soil during winter. Just thought that was cool.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Autumn repotting is ideal for those in areas with mild winters. And for those that can keep their trees frost free all winter. It is especially good if you live in an area where the summers are brutally hot and dry. Gives your trees time to recover before the stress of summer.
So basically anyone who's using garages/greenhouses for winter storage. Many are ..

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So basically anyone who's using garages/greenhouses for winter storage. Many are ..
Lol not necessarily. In zone 5 it is very expensive to keep a garage or greenhouse heated. -20F (-29°C) is real cold and Wisconsin is a very humbling place to grow bonsai.

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Are you really in Guangzhou? That place is warm year round and the only thing I’d be careful about is keep it out of excessive rain. Guangzhou is really humid based on what I know…
I live in Shanghai... never protected my pines against rain though it can be heavy and a lot. Especially the ones I purchased locally they seem to enjoy a lot of water (I know it's not necessarily what others believe in). I'll be doing some "late summer" work soon so will post some pictures.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I live in Shanghai... never protected my pines against rain though it can be heavy and a lot. Especially the ones I purchased locally they seem to enjoy a lot of water (I know it's not necessarily what others believe in). I'll be doing some "late summer" work soon so will post some pictures.
there he is, go post an update about those elm stumps, did they make it? don't reply here, reply on that thread

@roberthu never been up there, just hanging around GuangDong, i went up to SiChuan over the winter though

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
there he is, go post an update about those elm stumps, did they make it? don't reply here, reply on that thread
I will... and they are really doing well... especially the twisted one that I like the most. Updates soon as leaves will drop so we can see how the progress goes...

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I've been repotting my younger black pine stock in the fall to take advantage of a full 2024 growing season. Especially in case of another brutal summer like this year had.

Top Bottom