Autumn Repotting

ElyDave

Yamadori
Reaction score
Ely, Cambridge, UK, Zone 8 (whatever that means)
So what have you been doing this autumn?

I picked up a cotoneaster horizontalis in August, did a bit of basic pruning and took a few cuttings while I decided what to do next. THis weekend I did a bit more, and found it a training pot. The vertical element of the branch to the left will be left for a while to encourage growth along there as will the thicker apex. The eventual apex will come from the twiggy elements just below.

IMG_0014.JPG

I posted a picture of this, in bloom in it's first bonsai training pot - today I repotted it into an unglazed cloud-shaped pot.

P2140508.JPG

Good fine feeder roots developed, but what I really wanted to do was get the potting height right to eliminate the gaps- it was too high originally, which needed a few thumb-thick roots taking out from underneath. Even though the pot was a lot smaller, it still took a good bucketfull of potting mix.
IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0021 1.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

Also gave my thyme a bit of a trim, and started the shaping of a new prunus - I should never make a trip to the nursery at the end of summer when everything is marked down. This one will end up as a twin-trunk I think
IMG_0023.JPG

IMG_0024.JPGIMG_0025.JPG

Top Bottom