Autumn Seed Sowing in UK

Grimberian

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Everyone,
I've got a couple of trees that I am working on as bonsai (a couple bought, a couple that we bought as shrubs etc from garden centres) so still very much on a learning journey!
I bought myself some seeds - JBP, Wisteria and Sakura - online the other day and I'm curious about timings for planting them. I'm aware seeds will probably not make good bonsai in my lifetime, maybe my kids, but I wanted to see the process from scratch.
Early spring is supposed to be the best time for seedlings from what I have read so far, but is it possible to get them to germinate indoors through autumn and winter so they have a head start in spring and summer next year?
I suppose what I am saying is should I think about planting any now, or just stick them in the fridge until February?
Cheers!

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You can do it with the JBP, I don't know about the Wisteria and Sakura, but I expect they could cope with a slightly longer first season. Once they've germinated they will need decent light, nutrition, ventilation etc, you will find lots of threads on here from people growing indoors, including my own. It is a head start, but it's a lot of effort!

Best of luck, growing from seed is very instructive, can be frustrating but is ultimately satisfying when it goes well.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Indoor growing sounds easy but is full of pitfalls. There's a good chance that seedlings will either not make it through winter indoors or will be weak and sickly by spring. If you think you know enough about growing indoors and have really good conditions go ahead and sow.
Personally I prefer to work with natural cycles so seed is sowed in late autumn/ winter and left outside for natural stratification through winter. Seedlings emerge when conditions are right in spring and should grow better as a result.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have started a couple conifers indoors, but the effort outweighs the reward by a lot.
A couple months is a drop in the ocean when it comes to development (for pines, expect at least 6-10 years). On top of that, I agree with Shibui that an early start isn't always a good start. I've had pines indoors that were sunburned as soon as I put them outdoors in spring, which set them back about as much as I advanced them by starting indoors.
The natural way is longer, but it leads to more robust plants that can take a beating. And for us noobs, plants being able to take a beating makes a huge difference.

Grimberian

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And for us noobs, plants being able to take a beating makes a huge difference.

Absolutely, couldn't have said it any better.

Thanks for the comments everyone, I appreciate it.
I will probably get them sown and put outdoors then so they do their natural thing. With it being so wet here at the minute, would a cold frame of sorts help just to take the edge off the rain / snow?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Absolutely, couldn't have said it any better.

Thanks for the comments everyone, I appreciate it.
I will probably get them sown and put outdoors then so they do their natural thing. With it being so wet here at the minute, would a cold frame of sorts help just to take the edge off the rain / snow?
It would help against birds yanking seedlings out of the pots.
But it would provide a protective cover for rodents and snails.
It also would provide some early warmth.
Rain shouldn't be an issue since your plants will be spending roughly 100% of their time outdoors. If it's an issue for seeds and seedlings, it'll be an issue for adult trees.

Top Bottom