Avoiding a 'Mallsai Hazard' - Fukien Tree

Grimberian

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, it was my birthday last week and a friend bought me this Carmona.
Based on a previous thread about my Chinese Elm, I am keen to avoid some of the problems there before they arise.
I suspect that the faults it has probably can't be overcome without drastic action, but I thought I would throw it out there and see what the communities thoughts where.
Unfortunately there is not much going on locally in terms of workshops / local groups that I have bee able to find, so I am kind of working off internet articles and books here!

IMG_3003.JPEG
Here you can see where it was hard pruned and a new leader brought up.
I think that lower branch needs removing, even if this is the back of the tree I don't think it adds anything.

IMG_3004.JPEG
Possibly a better option for the front of the tree, but....

IMG_3005.JPEG

Where it has been trunk chopped to build a new leader, it has resulted in this mass knobbly section with handlebars either side and another small branch also starting to come up.
There is a bit of me that is think about taking that whole lumpy section off with my new tools, whacking some wound sealant on it and trying to grow a new apex.

Thoughts / input appreciated as always, what a learning curve (but a fun one)!

P.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think Fukien Tea trees are pretty, and believe that most of their bad rap comes from the fact that you almost never seen them in any other form than as a mallsai import - and that they are usually planted in poor soil. I would prioritize getting the tree moved into good soil and making it as strong as possible before you start doing structural work to it.

Grimberian

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks @Bonsai Nut
I have a plan to repot all my outdoor trees in early spring next year so will add this one to the list too.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, it was my birthday last week and a friend bought me this Carmona.
Based on a previous thread about my Chinese Elm, I am keen to avoid some of the problems there before they arise.
I suspect that the faults it has probably can't be overcome without drastic action, but I thought I would throw it out there and see what the communities thoughts where.
Unfortunately there is not much going on locally in terms of workshops / local groups that I have bee able to find, so I am kind of working off internet articles and books here!

View attachment 408300
Here you can see where it was hard pruned and a new leader brought up.
I think that lower branch needs removing, even if this is the back of the tree I don't think it adds anything.

View attachment 408301
Possibly a better option for the front of the tree, but....

View attachment 408302

Where it has been trunk chopped to build a new leader, it has resulted in this mass knobbly section with handlebars either side and another small branch also starting to come up.
There is a bit of me that is think about taking that whole lumpy section off with my new tools, whacking some wound sealant on it and trying to grow a new apex.

Thoughts / input appreciated as always, what a learning curve (but a fun one)!

P.
this is what it is. The focus should be on health before any design. This needs to get out of that crappy soil next summer. The tree isn't all that strong--spindly new growth and sparse existing growth. Nurse it through the winter, repot in the summer..

FWIW, the Swindon Bonsai Club appears to be a 40 minute drive from you. IF you have a car that ain't far. Most of the bonsai folk I know locally drive that much (or more) to get to local bonsai club auctions, meetings. If you can get in touch with the club, even by telephone, or text, you'd up your bonsai game exponentially. The stuff you read on the Internet is a pale substitute for actual person-to-person learning. It's also a lot more immediate. You will learn more in half an hour with someone in person who knows what they're doing than viewing 1000 hours of YouTube morons doing things completely wrong with miserable results. MOST of the stuff you see/read on the 'net about bonsai is bullshit...The number of idiots who fashion themselves "experts" is growing via YouTube, Insta, etc.

abugoogoo

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with Nut... They are nice trees but they all have that horrid Brussels Bonsai twist to them.

Top Bottom