Awesome bark on this red oak

DrGreenthumb

Seedling
Reaction score
I know they aren't the go to species of oak for bonsai, but I just couldnt pass this little guy up. Leaving the nebari buried a bit until the roots are nice and healthy.

Attachments

• 20170407_164655.jpg
    20170407_164655.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 114

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where are you located?

That looks more like a black oak than a red oak. At least in the Chicago area.

Were the buds fuzzy or were they smooth? Fuzzy buds are black oak, smooth buds are red oak.

Younger red oaks, including larger than yours, have smoother bark. The black oaks in your size class have more mature looking bark.

DrGreenthumb

Seedling
Reaction score
Where are you located?

That looks more like a black oak than a red oak. At least in the Chicago area.

Were the buds fuzzy or were they smooth? Fuzzy buds are black oak, smooth buds are red oak.

Younger red oaks, including larger than yours, have smoother bark. The black oaks in your size class have more mature looking bark.

I'm not sure if it is red or black. I'm never sure haha. I've got so many native Michigan books and tree species books and I just took my best guess. I do know they hybridize like mad and there is a ton of red oak around though.

Do black oaks keep their dead leaves all winter?

Last edited:

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not sure if it is red or black. I'm never sure haha. I've got so many native Michigan books and tree species books and I just took my best guess. I do know they hybridize like mad and there is a ton of red oak around though.

Black oaks keep their leaves all Winter. Red oaks do not keep their leaves during the Winter.

DrGreenthumb

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it is red or black haha. I'm never sure. I've got so many native Michigan books and tree species books and I just took my best guess. I do know they hybridize like mad and there is a ton of red oak around though.

Black oaks keep their leaves all Winter. Red oaks do not keep their leaves during the Winter.

Definitely a black oak then, thanks!

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Definitely a black oak then, thanks!

Black oaks are less shade tolerant and prefer dryer soils than red oaks in nature.

So once it settles in it would probably do better in full sun, with a quick draining soil. This is based on where they grow in general, as I have never grown any oak as a bonsai.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would be inclined to somehow safely get it into a pot that would allow root growth on that left side....

Especially with that lean....
You need those anchoring roots over there IMO.

I'd a dug it too!

Mad long game potential!

Sorce

DrGreenthumb

Seedling
Reaction score
I would be inclined to somehow safely get it into a pot that would allow root growth on that left side....

Especially with that lean....
You need those anchoring roots over there IMO.

I'd a dug it too!

Mad long game potential!

Sorce

Yeah I rushed it into a pot haha. It was just the coolest tree I had. But impatience doesn't grow trees I know that. I just don't have a ton of substrate and I haven't found a Napa within like 30 miles of here.

I honestly might just stick it back in the ground for a year or two.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice bark and trunk not too straight. If surviving has potential to be good tree;). Have any dry leaves to show?

Top Bottom