Awful pot alert!

moved on

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've got a slightly trivial question for you all from a relative neebie. I bought an orchard-style Jade bonsai on Bonsai Direct yesterday as I was feeling depressed after my pine seedlings weren't looking so good. Anyway, I'm a student so I wanted something not too pricey. The only way I could get a Jade bonsai (the species I particularly wanted) for my budget was to get it as a "Congratulations" gift bundle on the site. The image from Bonsai Direct's website is below:

jade.jpg

I love the tree, but the pot looks disgusting! I'm not a fan of the metallic look. I have pot of a similar size at home, so my question is whether is safe for me to transfer the new bonsai to the new pot straight away once it arrives. I know potting activity isn't usually done in the summer. If you think it will put the new bonsai under too much stress, I will put up with the terrible pot ... under sufferance.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you get it already? May not even come in that pot.

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
In answer to the original question: You can transplant Jade at any time of year, especially if you don't take too many roots. usually it is just a matter of lifting it out of one pot, dropping the whole roots ball into the new pot and adding a little potting mix to fill any gaps - no problem. Even if you need to trim a little bit away to fit into a smaller pot, jade will not even notice.
Just don't let it get cold

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The photo looks over exposed so who knows what that pot looks like in person. As @sorce said it might not even come in that pot or be that specific tree. So I would reserve judgement until you see it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was feeling depressed after my pine seedlings weren't looking so good.

If your misery is the sort that loves company, I've tried to root pine seedlings the last couple years and they always tend to die off in a couple months. Its tricky. Also, to echo everyone else who has respondeponded, ordering those sorts of packages rarely do you get the exact tree and pot pictured.

moved on

Yamadori
Reaction score
If your misery is the sort that loves company, I've tried to root pine seedlings the last couple years and they always tend to die off in a couple months.
One of my seedlings has started to rally today ... there may be hope ... a small hope anyway!

moved on

Yamadori
Reaction score
but you are going to have some problems practicing Bonsai techniques on a succulent such as jade. You really can’t wire them or water them the same as most woody trees and shrubs commonly-used for Bonsai.
I wanted a plant that would be happy indoors. I thought a succulent, like a Jade, would be a good option.

moved on

Yamadori
Reaction score
In answer to the original question: You can transplant Jade at any time of year, especially if you don't take too many roots. usually it is just a matter of lifting it out of one pot, dropping the whole roots ball into the new pot and adding a little potting mix to fill any gaps - no problem. Even if you need to trim a little bit away to fit into a smaller pot, jade will not even notice.
Just don't let it get cold
Thanks for the advice Shibui! I'll have a think when it arrives.

It's going to be indoors so it shouldn't get cold.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you want it grow strong it needs to be outdoors until it gets cold.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yes, you can do a simple slip re-pot now. The tree in the photo looks like Portulacaria afra, and this species actually likes to be re-potted in the summer.

Both Portulacaria and Crassula cultivars are both sometimes called "miniature jade". Yes, they are succulents and require somewhat different techniques than woody species. But both can make beautiful bonsai, especially Portulacaria. Google the late Jim Smith's bonsai to see some stunning examples. As with most tropicals, they like to go to summer camp outdoors, then come back inside when it gets cold, especially with some artificial light.

moved on

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks Michael P! I've checked and it's a Portulacaria.

I Googled Jim Smith and his Jade bonsai are beautiful. I would be so proud to have made something that sublime.

I tend to move the bonsai I have indoors and outdoors. I worry a bit about leaving them outdoors however when I have to go into the lab or observatory during the day. I had an incident with a fox knocking over a bonsai from the table they sit on and dragging it across the ground. It didn't survive the event as it was very chewed. I don't know why the foxes are so interested in the trees as I don't use any animal products in the soil or anything. It's very odd. I have seen them approach them again since. I even bought a high frequency alarm to scare them off, but it doesn't seem to deter them!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it arriving and seeing how it develops (I'll just stare at Jim Smith's bonsai and dream!). I love the look of the Jade tree; the apparent cross between tree and succulent is gorgeous.

moved on

Yamadori
Reaction score
I will definitely post a picture when it arrives on Wednesday. There's nothing to light up a week like a new bonsai arriving!

Foxes thrive in London. When I come back from work in the evening, you can't walk down a street without seeing one. I suspect the reason that they are going for the bonsai in the garden is that I've seen a neighbour putting food out for the foxes. As they probably see me loitering around the trees outside, they may think that I'm laying out food.

Maybe we could deport some foxes to Dallas! I'd hate them entirely if their cubs weren't so cute.

I'm thinking of building a sort of mesh covering for them that would be too heavy for the foxes to knock over but would still let light in. I've been investigating materials in the engineering department at my uni! Hopefully, I can convince a sympathetic technician to give me some!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree that there is very little a jade is going to teach you. If you want an indoor bonsai to train get a ficus.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Portulacaria is a fun specimen. Easy to propogate from cuttings also. They bud from older wood no problem.

The pot is nice... maybe not for a tropical but i could see a pine or spruce being suitable in future. With pots, just keep in mind you can always put something new in them after a yearish.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
We been seeing a lot of portulacaria threads lately! Maybe we should have a special forum just for the species :)

Looking forward to seeing the photos! One thing I will say from looking at the picture on the retail site - that soil is a portulacaria killer. The only thing that I know that will kill portulacaria is root rot - caused by swampy soil. Make sure to share photos of the soil it comes in because if it looks like potting soil, we might need to recommend some triage :) Portulacaria is a succulent and really prefers free-draining non-organic soil mixes.

Top Bottom