Axis DE for Sale

skinison

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Axis DE for sale. It's the course size, roughly 1/4", perfect for bonsai. Axis is the only DE on the market that is calcined to the point that it doesn't break down in soil, unlike 8822, cat litter, and other forms of DE.

One cubic foot is 25 lbs dry, 52 lbs fully saturated. It is 82% porous and has a CEC of 27.

It is, in my opinion, one of the best substrates for Bonsai, if not the best. It has many of the same benefits of Akadama, including the high CEC, but it does not break down in soil. Mixed with some pumice or lava, and you have a soil that can be reused for life.

We will be using USPS large flat rate boxes, filled to the top which will be about 3.3 gallons.

$50 per box, including shipping. Shipping cost us $20, so our price is less than $10 per gallon, which is comparable to Akadama. If you live in the SoCal or Las Vegas area and would like to pick up larger quantities that can also be arranged.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Can you post a couple photos of Axis DE?

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Axis coarse DE is a great product and I would be very interested purchasing quite a bit. But it is an akadama substitute meaning it is still not as good as akadama. Personally I prefer using DE in development and then switch to akadama in refinement. I can get akadama in the same quantity for $47.96. Why would I spend more money for a substitute?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Sounds expansive to me but am a cheapo anyway and my trees do not deserve this kind of treatment for a long while.

skinison

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Axis coarse DE is a great product and I would be very interested purchasing quite a bit. But it is an akadama substitute meaning it is still not as good as akadama. Personally I prefer using DE in development and then switch to akadama in refinement. I can get akadama in the same quantity for $47.96. Why would I spend more money for a substitute?

Personally, I would pay more for Axis because its water retention and CEC are just as good, if not better than Akadama, and it won't turn into mush in your pot over time.

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
While the Axis DE may or may not be just as good or better than Akadama, the 1/4" size is not "perfect for bonsai". I think most people here would recommend 1/16" to 1/4" particle size, and if you're doing shohin they would take out the 1/4" size.

Top Bottom