AxisDE Vs. Blue Ribbon Cat litter

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
So doing my research on a readily available D.E (@milehigh_7 chime in if you can) and AxisDE coarse cannot be bought around my location for anything less then 1k pound truck load which is a large heavy duty tote...now EP minerals also makes “Blue Ribbon Cat Litter” which you can get pretty cheap on amazon...the msds sheets for both products on EP minerals site is exactly the same except for product name...contacting a rep there said they use the same hard D.E. For both products...so that being said I’m buying a single 4.5 pound bag off amazon right now to see how it looks but just wanted to get others input on this...this is not a thread for arguing for or against D.E. Just on comparing these 2 products...oh and I have some AxisDE coarse I bought from @milehigh_7 so I will compare the 2....what do you think @Smoke @sorce

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Never used DE. Just have the best readily available to me for cheap. Never needed to experiment.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
So doing my research on a readily available D.E (@milehigh_7 chime in if you can) and AxisDE coarse cannot be bought around my location for anything less then 1k pound truck load which is a large heavy duty tote...now EP minerals also makes “Blue Ribbon Cat Litter” which you can get pretty cheap on amazon...the msds sheets for both products on EP minerals site is exactly the same except for product name...contacting a rep there said they use the same hard D.E. For both products...so that being said I’m buying a single 4.5 pound bag off amazon right now to see how it looks but just wanted to get others input on this...this is not a thread for arguing for or against D.E. Just on comparing these 2 products...oh and I have some AxisDE coarse I bought from @milehigh_7 so I will compare the 2....what do you think @Smoke @sorce

I'm not familiar with the "Blue Ribbon" brand. However, it should be noted that EP makes clay products as well as calcined and non-calcined DE products. I only recommend calcined DE.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I talked with the rep at EP “Yesenia” she did say they use the same D.E. In both products, I’ll ask her tomorrow and try to find out if it’s calcined...she did say they haven’t tested the “Blue Ribbon” for horticulture use

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It will be interesting to hear if the Blue Ribbon product is exactly the same as the AxisDE and also calcined. Would be a good solution since the AxisDE product is difficult to find.

I'd also be interested in knowing the particle size of the Blue Ribbon product.

Let us know @Potsofgreen.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Definitely will let you guys know, ordered the cat litter should be here within a week....however buying it in a 4.5 pound bag at a time with the shipping is not worth it over akadama for me in terms of price where im at in socal, but if i can find the 25 pound bag somewhere for cheaper then it just might be...will update asap with pictures

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Spoke with the E.P. rep today and it seems the B.R. Cat litter is not calcined it is kiln dried, so most likely a no go @milehigh_7 has frequently suggested to only use calcined D.E. womp womp oh well the search continues

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Anything used for animal or human contact is not lkely to be calcined since it is toxic if breathed in—goodbye kiity and owner.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Anything used for animal or human contact is not lkely to be calcined since it is toxic if breathed in—goodbye kiity and owner.
Whaa o_O

AFAIK, to calcine just means desiccation by strong heat. Though a rather loose definition, 'toxic if breathed in' doesn't follow. Firing ceramics or bricks would affect a calcined clay.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
The cat litter I use is definitely calcined, they even explain how it gives the product its unique colour.
They do give a warning though that for cats with white or light fur they could end up stained pink. lol, cats.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The cat litter I use is definitely calcined, they even explain how it gives the product its unique colour.
They do give a warning though that for cats with white or light fur they could end up stained pink. lol, cats.

Interesting, what brand of cat litter do you use? I still have the Blue Ribbon on its way so I will still do a comparison with the AxisDE coarse.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am still using the NAPA 8822 DE floor dry. With all the sub freezing weather we are getting it will be interesting to see how it holds up. This is my first year using it so I may be in for a big disappointment come spring time.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do they ship to Spain ?
Im having trouble to get it in Ireland since Tesco Low Dust cat litter is gone.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Do they ship to Spain ?
Im having trouble to get it in Ireland since Tesco Low Dust cat litter is gone.

The one in the link above does and should do to Ireland as well but yeah it is getting tougher to find as seemingly in preparation for the whole brexit debacle a number of sellers look like they have stopped shipping to the EU.
I used to order from amazon.uk and even with the high shipping costs it was still way cheaper than akadama but no amazon sellers are currently shipping here but they might to Ireland.

There are other products like terramol which is the same Danish clay and that may be easier to find.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks man,

I will order ther for now, i checked and seems like they would ship to Ireland :) we will see, i need 15 bags :) hahaha

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
QUOTE]

False
Th process of heating DE in the calcining process converts the silica from an amorphous state to crystaline silica. Exposure to crystaline silica through breathing leads to silacosis which in the case of prolonged exposure can lead desth. Here is an OSHA publication on that: Silicosis

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Th process of heating DE in the calcining process converts the silica from an amorphous state to crystaline silica. Exposure to crystaline silica through breathing leads to silacosis which in the case of prolonged exposure can lead desth. Here is an OSHA publication on that: Silicosis

Having Mr. Mittens kick around crystallized DE dust in the litter box several times a day...does sound like a class action lawsuit :oops:

Top Bottom