AZ Bougainvillea

62veedub

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hey guys!

We have a very large Bougainvillea in our yard which needs to be removed. It has a single trunk diameter around 10-12". It is very healthy and actually blooms most of the year. We bought the house about 3 years ago and haven't watered the plant since. Well, we may have a couple of times last summer when there were WAY too many days when it was 117 degrees!

I have read that the best time to dig these up in our area is mid-June, so we've been waiting. Well, while waiting I got lucky and broke my foot! YAY! I'm stuck on crutches for at least a couple more weeks. After that my foot will be in a boot, so collecting this big monster will be quite a chore!

I've done a bit of reading and believe it or not, there is a lot of conflicting information out there! So, I'm looking for some advice.

Should I start watering this plant before we dig it up? I know watering it will loosen the soil and make digging easier (especially if I'm sitting on the ground and can't stand up!). Maybe help to strengthen it some?

I plan on planting the trunk in a large cement mixing tub, or wine barrel liner. I can plant it in straight pumice, or a mixture of pumice, lava, and Turface. I read that straight pumice would be good.

Some people have mentioned building humidity tents and placing in full sun. I'm thinking with the all the sunshine and heat we have here, a humidity tent would do more harm than good.

Any thoughts and advice is appreciated!

Attachments

• 3408A8E2-F2AE-4E3B-A39A-86F077A629A3.jpeg
    3408A8E2-F2AE-4E3B-A39A-86F077A629A3.jpeg
    383.2 KB · Views: 55

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Pull up a milk crate and trim it into some kind of design now, or just downsize it and that will at least reduce the mass that you will be messing with. It will also give it a head start on growing like gangbusters when you reduce the big anchor roots, save the hairy feeder roots, and pot it up.

62veedub

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks! Maybe I’ll hobble out there this weekend and whack it back to get a better look and plan for the big removal.

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice.
that’s an impressive trunk.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
I feel your pain :)
What’s the plan….misting and shade for a few weeks?

62veedub

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Full sun and been watering 2-3 times per day. It gets late afternoon shade.

I still need to finish cleaning up the Medusa heads, but just getting it to this far wiped me out for days.

Top Bottom