Azalea air layer

crab apple

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I air layered this azalea from my old house that I had for sale, it took forever to root but luckily just before I moved it actually rooted. Of course it turned out to be a bad time of year, fall. But the climate has still been mild and its finally starting to back bud, I have good shoots coming out everywhere I cut it. Should I now cut off the little bit of foliage that I left on it to keep it alive? I have heard that it might spend all it's energy on the old limbs and not work much on the new stuff, but I don't know, I'm pretty new to all this. I took some close up pics but the camera focused on some distance objects so they didn't turn out usable.azalea.jpg

InstilledChaos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would leave every last bit of foliage on it until it has fully recovered and is growing vigorously. The plant can’t afford to lose anything while it recovers.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Azalea are typically very good at new shoots and staying alive. They are also regarded as basal dominant meaning shoots down low grow better than top shoots. I'd say the bit you have left will be no problem for then new shoots emerging.
Let it alone to do as it needs now.

Top Bottom