Azalea air layering.

Nelis

Sapling
Reaction score
I rescued this (what I believe to be an) azalea. It was half dead. All the shortened branches where all dead.
This was in 2020
20200908_093531.jpg20200908_093544.jpg20200910_102618.jpg

From the ground to the first branch is about 7 inches.
20221106_104821.jpg

This is today, it started throwing out 4 suckers, and it got me thinking, what if I layered of the top, and use the suckers to create a clump style? 20221106_104859.jpg20221106_104941.jpg

Will it air layer easily enough, or will I be wasting my time?
1 - Leave it as it is and cut the suckers off?
2 - Cut the stem and go for the clump style?
3 - Do the air layer?

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would just bury it deeply, let it grow a new nebari higher up (where you might have thought of layering) and discard the lower part later.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You did a good job bringing this little guy back to life! It looks very healthy.

Azaleas air layer well. One key is to figure out what is your goal before doing so. Likely not a great idea to air layer off the top all at once as it will result in a three branch cartwheel. An alternative is to do what any folks do, air layer off each branch individually. This will give you three new azaleas, each a number of years old.…. and a snip with a pair of pruners after the final air layer will yield a clump with a jumpstart of a decent base down the line.

As far as the base goes… a major faux paux imho many folks make with azaleas is to allow the top of the nebari to be exposed in hopes the thin roots will eventually grow into a decent nebari. This kills the top roots and sets the plant back.

This is contrary to the horticultural needs of the plant… where covering the top of the root mass is key to overall health and quickly growing a thick nebari. This action results in healthy roots that thicken over time to eventually produce a robust nebari.

cheers
DSD sends

Last edited:
Top Bottom