Azalea approach graft

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did my first approach graft on this azalea...Beni botan.
I used cable ties to secure the two sections together. Then covered it with cut paste.
I'm wondering how do I know if it has taken/fused next year..or whenever?
I'll be very reluctant to remove the paste in fear of disturbing it.
IMG_20211111_193719.jpgIMG_20211111_194337.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Neat use of cable tie to hold the graft together. I may have to use that idea.......
You have done a really good job of sealing that one up! It's going to make checking just a little bit harder.
One of the signs that an approach graft has worked is the 'out' side starts to get thicker than the 'in' side as the top of the graft is getting extra nutrient from the new graft but I'm not sure how long before change of thickness becomes evident in a slow growing species like azalea.
The definitive sign is when you can see callus linking the 2 sections but that's obviously going to be difficult with that mass of paste over the top.
If it was me I would gently scrape away a section of paste when I suspected the graft was OK. I think that could be done without upsetting the graft union as it appears to be well tied together. No need to remove the lot just to check.

I assume you have removed bark between the 2 sections to help the graft?

Approach grafts can take a year or sometimes a couple of years with slower growing trees so don't be in too much of a hurry.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Same thoughts about the technique used….? Also on the cable ties.

cheers
DSD sends

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Neat use of cable tie to hold the graft together. I may have to use that idea.......
You have done a really good job of sealing that one up! It's going to make checking just a little bit harder.
One of the signs that an approach graft has worked is the 'out' side starts to get thicker than the 'in' side as the top of the graft is getting extra nutrient from the new graft but I'm not sure how long before change of thickness becomes evident in a slow growing species like azalea.
The definitive sign is when you can see callus linking the 2 sections but that's obviously going to be difficult with that mass of paste over the top.
If it was me I would gently scrape away a section of paste when I suspected the graft was OK. I think that could be done without upsetting the graft union as it appears to be well tied together. No need to remove the lot just to check.

I assume you have removed bark between the 2 sections to help the graft?

Approach grafts can take a year or sometimes a couple of years with slower growing trees so don't be in too much of a hurry.
Yeah I sized the two sections and scraped enough cambium for them to fit well....that was crucial for me. I could only eye it though, but it's the best I could do. I'm happy there's enough for the two to meet and greet 😁
When I put the paste on I said to myself...you have a problem in waiting. I'll pry it open next year and have a look see...that's next years problem though.
My logic says, if it grows well this year...and so far it does, it stands a very good chance of fusing.
Yeah the cable ties idea kinda flashed into my head. I couldn't find my pins..and saw the ties hanging on the wall. It's extremely sturdy...more than the pins would've been.

Top Bottom