Azalea backyard yamadori

Flipkronikz

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I may pickup this 6ft high 5ft wide azalea later. I will have to drastically prune it to fit my suv. Should I bury in ground or throw it in a large bin? I think it has some great potential as it looks to be at least 30-40 years old.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220925-081609_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220925-081609_Facebook.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 74

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The photo is quite a bit hazy, yet your prospective tree looks an awful lot like a Rhododendron. They aren’t good for bonsai, but great for new niwaki.

Here’s a neighborhood rhody

image.jpg

I’d pass unless you are looking for a landscape piece.

cheers
DSD sends

Flipkronikz

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The photo is quite a bit hazy, yet your prospective tree looks an awful lot like a Rhododendron. They aren’t good for bonsai, but great for new niwaki.

Here’s a neighborhood rhody

View attachment 457036

I’d pass unless you are looking for a landscape piece.

cheers
DSD sends
I've identified it as rhododendron maximum l. I may pass on it as I'm not interested in a landscape piece.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good idea.

There are plenty of nice azaleas in your neck of the woods. Be patient and hunt around, include a search of the nurseries as they tend to mark down the plants this time of the year.

Please be sure there is a wintering over plan for anything you buy this time of the year. Although summer is still holding on for us right now, things have been known to change pretty fast in the PNW this time of the year.

cheers
DSD sends

Flipkronikz

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for helping decide against it. Still figuring out rhododendron vs azalea lol. Most plants acquired this year will survive our zone. I've already brought it my potted bougainvillea and put it under some grow lights. I have a potted fig tree currently outside and it has not dropped its leaves yet. PNW winters have cold lately but the landscape shrubs and plants have come back every spring the past 3 years on my property.

Top Bottom