Azalea beast

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good luck on that beast, I see greatness if handled right!
Thanks. I'm being extra careful and patient on this one.
Just hope to see it wake up this spring. First things first! LOL

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hope this comes to life for you soon!
I would caution you to choose your structure and go with it. Seal cuts, but due to the thin bark on most azaleas, scar healing is hit or miss, but kinda slow even if it works. No need to put the plant through more than it has to in terms of healing.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
WOW. Now that is an azalea. I would prune out any conflicting or crossing branches and call it a day. That trunk is impressive, can’t inagine how old that thing must be.

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Maybe someone else can chime in, but I would think it would be smart to remove the blooms this year if there are any as they take up a lot of resources and this tree is stressed enough as it is.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice one! I will watch this one closely...I dug one myself close to that size this week. Good luck!!

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I'm betting that in 2-3 weeks you will have little green buds all over this tree and it will turn into a landscaping bush again. Should have chopped it back much harder.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
WOW. Now that is an azalea. I would prune out any conflicting or crossing branches and call it a day. That trunk is impressive, can’t inagine how old that thing must be.
Maybe someone else can chime in, but I would think it would be smart to remove the blooms this year if there are any as they take up a lot of resources and this tree is stressed enough as it is.
Removed more and sealed. Got rid of 3/4 of the flower buds but have to see a few.
Entered in the Not a Contest for the fun and learning experience.
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/underdogs-not-a-contest-tree.33193/
IMG_20180414_145801064.jpg

Dalsom

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
You will never have more built up energy than you do at this moment. Best to eliminate every branch you do not want at this time and seal every cut.
Eliminate EVERY BIT of field soil by cutting back roots hard for final pot size and aggressively washing completely. You do not ever want to have to go back in to try to do this in subsequent repottings.
Use final soil aggregate (I recommend 100% Kanuma) as will be used in final pot. Top dress with chopped NZ sphagnum (mountain moss if you can find it). Plant in wider container.
Build the superfine network of roots that will emerge so that you get a relatively flat rootbase at this time. This will promote a wide, spreading, dense root structure that best allows for optimal drainage and long term maintenance. Maximum free draining aggregate/root zone percolation is paramount! Any left over field soil or less than maximum free draining soil will promote poor root health.
Never let soil dry out or sit too wet. EVER! (This is why I recommend Kanuma and top dressing at this time.)

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Eliminate EVERY BIT of field soil by cutting back roots hard for final pot size and aggressively washing completely. You do not ever want to have to go back in to try to do this in subsequent repottings.
I'm just not willing to take that much of a chance at this time. I want to keep this alive for sure and for many years. While I appreciate the advice and your time, I'm chicken... I have to believe after a year or two I can go back after the roots harder. I would have loved to saw off 3/4 of the rootball and put it in a box. If this was the normal junk I play with, I'd risk it.

Dalsom

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The remaining field soil will result in eventual decline and loss after a few years. If you try to remove it a few years down the road, you will have to disturb the fine root mass you have developed in the interim and the tree will not have as much stored energy to recover as it does now.
But good luck.

Dalsom

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I have a ton of azaleas. They don’t respond like all my other trees. One huge aggressive initial hard pruning and root cleaning as described above upon collection as super healthy specimens is the only way I’ve had success long term.
If you do plan on future heavy root cleaning, make sure you pump up their health to their maximum beforehand.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow... you have me thinking I should Go back after it now while I can... I didn't get into any tap root or trunk base at this stage,
It would be nice to lighten this thing up. I can hardly carry it.

Who else thinks I should go back after it harder now? @GrimLore @Adair M @Mellow Mullet
I appreciate all of your time.

Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Who else thinks I should go back after it harder now?

It has been a few days but honest I have wet down large collected and stored them a week before potting. Simply wrapped the roots in a plastic bag. This early in the season here you have esentially done the same thing only in a pot.

Myself I would not hesitate to remove it, rinse out that root ball clean, rake it out a bit but take easy on the fine roots... the fine roots are essential as this wakes up. I would not cut any fines at this point but lop off all or some of the tap root as it is not needed. The tap can be cut back further down the road one the plant is established. I am saying that so you have the option of not destroying to many fine roots.

If you go easy on it now in two years you will be able to be more aggressive but cleaning out the old substrate now will make that process a LOT easier.

Grimmy

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
WOW, that is one bad-ass tree!
Looking forward to your updates on its progress.

Top Bottom