Azalea contest 2020-2025

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
No, I make up my own rules and the rest of you guys play it by the book. I cheat, too. I lie when I have to.

I'm thinking about squeezing this Girard's Pleasant White into the action. I've had it for a few years, but honest, I never touched it...
View attachment 377347
I'll post it again in a few days when all the flowers are out. It's a left-over from when I landscaped my house in 2008...
View attachment 377348
looks awesome in that pot

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It's not really in that pot, it's just a virt to enhance the view. It's really just in an old nursery pot, untouched for years. :cool:

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Zounds! We can do two? Let me know!

I just pried an unknown cherry red single apart from a Hexe azalea in the landscape out front! It was misplaced in the pot.... this is third time the local nursery sold me an azalea that had two different cultivars planted in the same pot and was advertised as one type. The amount of roots left on the unknown red azalea after the separation were sparse to say the least.... so this lil guy may be on the edge all summer. It wont be the first time!

In any event I took a number of cuttings just in case I have to lean on another generation of the azalea.

Here’s a photo of this awesome single. Also you can see the Hexe flower in the bottom right of the frame. It’s a hose in hose.

cheers
DSD sends
View attachment 377027
Dam that leaf color!!! 🤤

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
im in. heres my two, $10 specials, purchased in fall 2020. still have to scope the rules, could render down to 1 for this contest
View attachment 377295View attachment 377294
now (about 1 year from above picture)
i had to get rid of extra branches on single tree, will have to carve or hardcut or let the transition even out
with that one
20210818_190925.jpg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
now (about 1 year from above picture)
i had to get rid of extra branches on single tree, will have to carve or hardcut or let the transition even out
with that one
View attachment 392511
@hinmo24t is one of these two going to be your contest entry? If so, you can start your own progression thread. Ensure you post pics of what it looked like before you cut back. One entry for the contest.......pick the one you feel best. If it dies you can replace it with a new untouched one.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
@hinmo24t is one of these two going to be your contest entry? If so, you can start your own progression thread. Ensure you post pics of what it looked like before you cut back. One entry for the contest.......pick the one you feel best. If it dies you can replace it with a new untouched one.
10-4. the one on the right is what ill commit to! and it has accompanying original in here; wont post progress pics in here,
noted!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Would anyone mind if I made a joke contest post about my learning how to do azalea bonsai? I don’t have anything that’d fit the contest (everything was bought at a nursery since June but everything had some level of work done due to stupidity/pot issues/etc.) but I think it’d be fun to track their progress through 2025. I’d make the title very obviously a joke submission 😛

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What do you mean with 'joke submission'? If it is an actual azalea and you are just a late entry and 'not very good', but you want to share with others, why is it a 'joke submission'? If it is actually satire and/or not even a real azalea plant, uuh maybe try to general discussion thread? If it is too late to be an entry, and you want to post about an azalea, try the 'flowering' subforum. If your material doesn't follow the rules of the competition, same, just post in the 'flowering' subforum.

That's my understanding. But Pitoon runs the competition.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I guess it may be more relevant to the flowering forum then - it’s more that it’s now 2022 and my submission had some work done on it when I got it earlier this year (pruned/repotted) before I found the competition so it wouldn’t really follow rules. I’m not interested in the competition so much as just having a place to track development of the azalea over a few years though.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
What do you mean with 'joke submission'? If it is an actual azalea and you are just a late entry and 'not very good', but you want to share with others, why is it a 'joke submission'? If it is actually satire and/or not even a real azalea plant, uuh maybe try to general discussion thread? If it is too late to be an entry, and you want to post about an azalea, try the 'flowering' subforum. If your material doesn't follow the rules of the competition, same, just post in the 'flowering' subforum.

That's my understanding. But Pitoon runs the competition.
Yeah my initial post was highly confusing now that I’m rereading it - sorry.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Would anyone mind if I made a joke contest post about my learning how to do azalea bonsai? I don’t have anything that’d fit the contest (everything was bought at a nursery since June but everything had some level of work done due to stupidity/pot issues/etc.) but I think it’d be fun to track their progress through 2025. I’d make the title very obviously a joke submission 😛
I would prefer that you don't, thanks.

Top Bottom