Azalea contest 2020-2025

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My eyes are growing old with the rest of me, is that I will hug him and pot him and squeeze him?
No, but that would be perfect :)
It was already made by someone else. It’s from an old looney toons cartoon in 1961 Hugo the abominable snowman. @Pitoon reminded me with his quote.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm completely not a competitive person, but I think this might a fun experience. @Pitoon, I won't be able to get a plant by 1st Jan, can enties start after that date?

The contest starts on 01JAN20. You can get a plant anytime, most of us already have plants on stand by. Just remember it needs to remain untouched until we start. Technically you shouldn't be doing any cuts till after they flower anyways.

mbunro

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Everyone needs to start with a fresh uncut azalea so it's fair across the board

Does that mean my three are out of the running?
It's early summer here so they have all had a post flowering hackback by the nurseryman probably 4-6 weeks ago

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Im going to visit my local garden center this saturday, they are still closed for Christmas, so sale will start on Saturday, im hoping to get something nice for both this and Christmas tree contest, fingers crossed:)

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’ve got nothing! I bought an azalea from Bill Valavanis but I can’t use it for the contest because it was prebonsai stock... need to find a good source still

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Haha I am going to be a late starter because I have to find a tree when I get back to Korea

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hard to find a good source of anything green in the middle of winter
If you hit up a local nursery that sells landscape trees you should find something. It probably won't look so great cause they should have or are dropping the older leaves. Most important aspect is the trunk line and if it's healthy. Most everything will be cut off anyway summer time to initiate the prebonsai phase.

EricainDC

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have never done a bonsai from stock, only from seed or from buying one in the store- so this seems like an excellent opportunity to start! I have a few indoor bonsais that I've rescued and rehabbed from back corners of the garden center. For this azalea one, I've watched a few YouTube videos to try and figure out what I'm doing, but if anyone has pointers for a person just getting started who has the ability to keep most indoor plants alive - I'm all ears. I feel like I got a pretty good general understanding from the YouTube videos and understand that it will be a long term and interesting project.

I'm going to start stalking some of our local nurseries for a nice trunk shape Jan 1 :)

I'm new here and excited about the wealth of info!

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have never done a bonsai from stock, only from seed or from buying one in the store- so this seems like an excellent opportunity to start! I have a few indoor bonsais that I've rescued and rehabbed from back corners of the garden center. For this azalea one, I've watched a few YouTube videos to try and figure out what I'm doing, but if anyone has pointers for a person just getting started who has the ability to keep most indoor plants alive - I'm all ears. I feel like I got a pretty good general understanding from the YouTube videos and understand that it will be a long term and interesting project.

I'm going to start stalking some of our local nurseries for a nice trunk shape Jan 1 :)

I'm new here and excited about the wealth of info!

Welcome. Good luck with the contest. Make sure to put your location and usda zone in your profile.

Top Bottom