Azalea cutback, best time of year

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Second reading and the Q is whether to repot and cut back or only one of those in a year.
I'm quite happy to repot and prune azalea in one operation or in the same season. Azaleas do not seem to mind more than one 'insult'

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Second reading and the Q is whether to repot and cut back or only one of those in a year.
I'm quite happy to repot and prune azalea in one operation or in the same season. Azaleas do not seem to mind more than one 'insult'
Yes @Shibui that was my question. So I think my plan will be to cut back and repot (it is still in a nursery container) before flowering. Can I do that now or wait until I see a little more color coming into the leaves. It is still fairly dormant.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I've found that I can repot or collect azalea almost any time of year. I was surprised that they actually seem to do better when root pruned in summer. I assume it is still pretty cold where you are so maybe wait for a while longer. You can't miss the repot window for azalea because it is open all year round.
Satsuki can be a little more temperamental that the regular garden indica hybrids I have access to but should be fine to repot after the deciduous trees have leaves again.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Listen to Leo and Kiwi. Everyone else here is talking about evergreen azaleas. It is a whole different game. Don't treat it like an evergreen azalea.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I know I sort of high jacked this thread but I was asking about an evergreen azalea. The OP was talking about a deciduous azalea.

jbhuynh

Seedling
Reaction score
I don’t know about your particular azalea, but in general, if you can bear to not have flowers, a great time to do a hard cut back is in early spring, before they start growing.

Satsuki azalea have two growth spurts. Once before blooming, then they pause the growth and produce flowers, then they grow again.

so, if you want to develop the tree as a bonsai quickly, then do the hard cut back before it blooms. Or, rather, before it starts growing in spring. Azalea backbud on old wood, so you can cut it back hard. Be sure to seal the cuts, and DONT use concave cutters! Cut using scissors or flat cutters.

Pruning before it growing in spring sacrifices the flowers. Oh, well. But you get a lot of growth. And you can cut back again after it grows out. If you let it flower and then cut back, you won’t get as much growth.
In Japan, they don’t let the trees flower for about a decade while the develop them. They concentrate on building structure before they let them bloom.
Why can't concave cutters be used?

bunjin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Why can't concave cutters be used?
They can be used. Convex cutters are very rare and they are limited in their cutting capacity. I have one and it is not worth the cost. As an alternative one can use a concave cutter, cut a little long and use carving tools to flatten and clean up the cut. I sometimes use a root cutter as it has a flatter cut. Common garden shears also work, but again, cutting a little long and trimming is advised.

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I cut back a few weeks ago, it turned out just fine with new buds pushing out. I don't have an "after" photo but it's budding like crazy. Same thing with my other Azalea that I cut back a bit less drastically and left some sacrificial foliage
20210718_155040.jpg

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I cut back a few weeks ago, it turned out just fine with new buds pushing out. I don't have an "after" photo but it's budding like crazy. Same thing with my other Azalea that I cut back a bit less drastically and left some sacrificial foliage
View attachment 392488

20210817_180736.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
For all azalea, and Rhododendron, it is okay to cut back hard and repot, prune roots all on the same day, as one single operation. Timing, the best response is probably in late winter or early spring. Don't not allow it to receive any frosts after this cut back and repotting. Done in late winter or early spring, you will not have any flowers, as you will have cut off all the buds. This is the preferred timing for the more rapid development of the tree as bonsai. This is the standard treatment for Satsuki, as outlined by @Adair M

If you live in a climate that is fairly mild, with little or no freezing over the winter, or if you have a greenhouse in which to winter your azalea, you can as @Shibui suggests, get away with performing this operation any time of year. I believe the more rapid development as bonsai will be had if you perform this pruning and repotting in early spring as suggested by Adair M.

I've retired for the second time, my spring schedule is no longer as hectic as it used to be when I was a partner in a blueberry farm. I will be going back to spring repotting for most tree species. I did learn to repot trees in late summer, usually in the July 15 through August 30 for my zone 5b area (first freeze is around Oct 15 ). Key is I normally do ZERO pruning after about July 30. I DO NOT prune at the same time I do late summer repotting. If I repot later than August 20 or so, especially trees that do not get repotted until Sept 15. they are wintered in a frost free well house for the winter. Repotting late in summer will make the tree susceptible to freeze damage. It will not be as cold hardy as normal.

I know myself I grow azalea for the flowers. Adair M is correct, it really is better technique to do your pruning and in early spring. What I try to do, is have enough azalea around that you have some you prune in spring, and some that you let have the "growing season off". The one's getting "time off" are allowed to bloom, then pruned later. This way more of my trees are being kept on the fast track to development. But a few are allowed to bloom, just to fill my need for something other than green leaves in the collection. As I have said, I hate boxwoods, they are boring, so I do let a few of my azaleas bloom each year. Key is, have enough different azaleas that you can have some bloom while the majority are on the "faster track" toward bonsai.

Myself, I winter my azalea by storing them in a frost free, zero light, dark well house. I normally leave my azalea outdoors, through several hard freezes. This is to force them into full dormancy before moving them to their dark winter storage. This also allows the ground time to cool to 45 F or less which is needed to keep the well house cool enough to keep trees dormant. Put them in the well house too early and they will not stay dormant. While waiting for the well house to get cold enough, I allow my satsuki to experience temps as low as +25 F. (about -4 C.). Satsuki are all over the map in the cold tolerance. The "northern Japan hybrids" can be hardy to +10 F ( -12 C.), yet the hybrids that originated in southern Japan might only be hardy to barely a degree below freezing. Vast majority are winter hardy to at least +25 F, so I use that as my "limit". There are some that say you can tell how cold hardy a Satsuki is by the shape of the leaf, there are enough exceptions that this is basically bullshit. You need to know the pedigree to know how hardy a Satsuki will be. By "pedigree" I do mean, know what the description in various nursery catalogs state as the expected hardiness is, often these catalogs will list the parentage. Satsuki books usually will tell you the hardiness of specific cultivars along with the parentage. Here is another reason it is important to purchase only known named cultivars, and don't loose the tag with the name. Buying "no tag, no name mutts" will always be a crap shoot when trying to figure out winter hardiness. Avoid "mutts" or if you must have a "no cultivar name mutt", don't be surprised if you guess wrong about its winter hardiness.

Safest to assume just a few degrees below freezing. Kurume azalea hybrids can be hardy to 0 F, or even colder, again depending on pedigree. (0 F = -17 C.) Key is to know the published cold tolerance of a particular named cultivar.

@QuantumSparky - this tree you pruned and repotted so late in the year, keep an eye on your weather, and avoid trying to "test" this tree's cold hardiness. It will not be winter hardy because of your late pruning and repotting. Hopefully where you store it for winter will have enough light that it can finish hardening off foliage before its winter rest. This tree will not be cold hardy, and will need light to finish maturing foliage before taking its winter nap. You are in Pennsylvania, the advice to prune any time of year came from "Frost Free area of Australia". Always look at the location of someone offering advice, and then ask yourself if that advice would work in your climate.

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@QuantumSparky - this tree you pruned and repotted so late in the year, keep an eye on your weather, and avoid trying to "test" this tree's cold hardiness. It will not be winter hardy because of your late pruning and repotting. Hopefully where you store it for winter will have enough light that it can finish hardening off foliage before its winter rest. This tree will not be cold hardy, and will need light to finish maturing foliage before taking its winter nap. You are in Pennsylvania, the advice to prune any time of year came from "Frost Free area of Australia". Always look at the location of someone offering advice, and then ask yourself if that advice would work in your climate.
I have a pretty solid overwinter plan for this tree involving some grow lights and a heated mat to keep the roots from freezing in my garage. It'll get cold but the way I'm doing it, it shouldn't get frosted at all!
20210902_155154.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@QuantumSparky - Excellent, good wintering plan. One word of caution, those heat mats can dry your soil out rapidly. So check frequently as to whether or not they need water. In my well house I usually only need to water once a month, its quite humid, but on a heat mat you need to check frequently until you know the pattern of water required.

Top Bottom