Azalea design help needed

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
This is another one of my Duc De Rohan azaleas. This one has some design issues as far as I'm concerned.
1.) The nebari has fused making it seem as thought the trunk base is huge
2.) The two trunks that come off the base do not taper correctly. They look like someone stuck a trunk down in the root base
3.) One trunk has better movement, the other has better taper from the bottom/root base

The dilemma:
1.) should I eliminate one of the trunks? If so should I keep the one with more movement?
2.) Does this piece need to be ground grown for several years to try to thicken the actual trunk to improve the visual appeal of base/fused nebari to trunk?

I currently am planning on removing one of the trunks and letting it grow free from the other trunk. Not so that it causes reverse taper. Probably let the top 1/3 section grow free while anything that emerges from the nebari will be removed and anything that grows from an area I would like branching will be kept in check.

What are your thoughts?
Azaleatwotrunk.jpgazaleatwotrunk2.jpgazaleatwotrunk3.jpgazaleatwotrunk4.jpgazaleatwotrunk5.jpg

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
My Humble Opinion...Keep trunk with movement

The trunk with the movement has some decent lower shoots that may be potential new leaders. I'd eliminate the other trunk to focus all growth into the trunk of your choice. I like leaving developing trees in containers vs. ground because I don't have a perfect growing area and I move my stock per the weather conditions and/or seasons. I believe one can get better results from container growing when proper growing media is coupled with proper feeding schedules - the nebari on your azalea looks great; it seems to me like the tachiagari will follow suit given some years, and you'll achieve that nice transition we all strive for. My plan would then be to further reduce the trunk to the leader that best suits your design and really dial in that taper.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
I would most likely chop it lower and develop it from there. The trunk with movement is nice, but end the trunk just above where the movement ends, and the smaller trunk at the first live branch. Fertilize it well through the first year in a nice growing container with quality soil and get as many new branches growing as possible. Have fun!

Attachments

• azalea.jpg
    azalea.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 54

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like Brian's cuts. With your pic #5 as a front. Small trunk in back....great Nebari from there!

Sorce

Top Bottom