Azalea first styling from nursery

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes, I don't think I have seen water blasting done on azalea by Japanese. One reason why I am not sure if I would recommend it, because Japanese azalea people are a bit more no nonsense than the traditional azalea bonsai people. But if it saves you a lot of time and you had nice results, I probably would continue with it as well.

Imports from Japan to Europe are not bare rooted. Everything to the US is still bare rooted?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It’s also helpful to bear in mind that most of the Japanese masters on video are commercial nurserymen, not hobbyists.
Not sure how this is relevant?
Commercial nurserymen know what's OK and hobbyists don't?
Commercial nurserymen can do things that no-one else can do?

Surely if one person can do something to a plant then others can do the same things?

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
For one thing, they’re generally working on larger trees that have been in the ground, and the trees are likely to have more primary roots, as opposed to the ‘steel wool’ mat of a landscape azalea. They also work in volume, where the occasional loss is to be expected. Hobbyists are generally more focused on one tree, where a loss is a catastrophe. As always, just my opinion [see Marcus Aurelius below].

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes, I don't think I have seen water blasting done on azalea by Japanese. One reason why I am not sure if I would recommend it, because Japanese azalea people are a bit more no nonsense than the traditional azalea bonsai people. But if it saves you a lot of time and you had nice results, I probably would continue with it as well.

Imports from Japan to Europe are not bare rooted. Everything to the US is still bare rooted?
I can’t say everything, but the ones I have purchased from Rick Garcia arrive that way, and he pots them up. I don’t know if it makes a difference but my understanding is that his imports are quarantined in Japan before export.

Top Bottom