Azalea help. I’mStump

Kodama16

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I also posted this on Facebook group for azalea bonsai.
Hey guys. I need some help. I’m getting beat on this one. I purchased a little root over rock satsuki last fall. It had little leaves at the end of the branches. Look normal just weak. I got it cheap so I went with it. My plan was to cut back hard and let it grow out. However this spring came I removed the flower buds. It had a good bit. But then it never leaf out. It keeps forming small leaf buds but then they die. See photo 3. You can see how they dry out. So I slip potted it into a large nursery pot with my azalea grow mix. When I did that I figure the roots where going be bad. But I saw a lot of new white growth.
So that was three weeks ago. I’m still getting lush new tiny buds. And they still go brown after they start to leaf.
Note :
I’m also in 80% shade cloth.
The soil PH was 7 but I got it to 6.2.
The growth mix I use is mostly pine bark.

I’m stump. Every branch is green. No branches have died. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Attachments

• AA5565D4-0FED-4983-A49A-4FE0E123B5A8.jpeg
    AA5565D4-0FED-4983-A49A-4FE0E123B5A8.jpeg
    322.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 5A64EF61-8250-43B7-AD1C-8CE57D42867E.jpeg
    5A64EF61-8250-43B7-AD1C-8CE57D42867E.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 34
  • B5367760-DDAE-4FA6-815E-D4804CDB84B3.jpeg
    B5367760-DDAE-4FA6-815E-D4804CDB84B3.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 34

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I can't tell what has happened. This looks very far away of what a healthy satsuki azalea at this point of year should look like. It should have many leaves. Both last years and new growth.
Somehow, your plant lost all its leaves.
Then, it pushed out new growth and half of these buds went crisp. Not sure if the green ones are stressed & stalled or still growing.

Also, not sure if this is a satsuki azalea. Bark seems on the rough side.

I would put it in 100% shade. I would say these new buds dried out in the bright sun. But you state there is 80% shade cloth. Which makes me suspect the roots a bit also.
Without any leaves, azaleas really struggle not to try out during sunny summer weather.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yeah, sounds/looks like roots fungus;rot to me too.. It wants to live… but something is knocking it out. Concur about keeping the tree in bright shade, no direct sunlight.

One doesn’t actually want to remove flower buds until he foliage really kicks in…. Unless you have a deciduous azalea …q😎

1. Chock up one side of the pot with a stone etc. This will help media dry out faster between waterings… but water only when you need to. Better to be a bit too dry from hereon out. But do not dry out.

2. Use an anti fungal product.

I use
a. 50/50 mix of. H2O / 3% H2O2 twice in one week to water. Then every three weeks.
b. Mist foliage and trunk with 1-2 TBSP H2O2 2-3x daily.

This helps the tree even if you don't have a bad issue. Should not have after effects or environment issuesSX. 3

cheers
DSD sends

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Hydrogen Peroxide (H2OH) is a decent preventative, but when the tree is severley infected, you will need a decent fungicide. I have had success Phyton 27 and 35; I have heard that Clearys 3336 also works well, but have not tried it as a drench.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I slip potted it into a large nursery pot with my azalea grow mix. When I did that I figure the roots where going be bad. But I saw a lot of new white growth.
New white roots is a good sign.
Slip potting sometimes causes more trouble than it solves as neither water nor roots move well between very different soil types. Slip potting certainly does not solve the problem of poor soil.

Fungicide treatment may help temporarily but root problems are usually a symptom of poor soil and likely to keep returning while bad soil remains. Best solution to bad soil is to remove and replace.
Not repotting weak tree is all good but if soil is causing the problem the tree is unlikely to regain health to allow repotting = vicious circle and continued decline.

How to proceed is entirely up to you as owner but I would try an emergency repot in an attempt to solve all the problems. No problem for azalea with later spring repotting or even massive root reduction to remove poor soil in my experience.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Hydrogen Peroxide (H2OH) is a decent preventative, but when the tree is severley infected, you will need a decent fungicide. I have had success Phyton 27 and 35; I have heard that Clearys 3336 also works well, but have not tried it as a drench.

Mix it up following the instructions and drench it twice a week until you see improvement. If you have a bucket big enough to dunk the whole pot, even better, you can get the whole root mass saturated.

If your nursery pot has drainage holes all the way around it, tilting it to one side will not do anything, other than make the soil wash to one side when you water. It won't drain any better.

Your problem might not be fungal, you might have spider mites, but I see no webbing. They do not make a lot of web in until the colony really gets going. Or, some other type of mites, some are difficult to see with out a microscope. I had the exact same thing happening on several of my serissas. The leaves fell off and new growth was stunted and/or turned crispy. I took a sample to work and used the microscope and found that mites were the culprit.

For mites you need a miticide, I recommend Avid, it works really well and is translaminar, so it is easier to apply, you don't have to worry about getting both sides of the leaves. I use Bayer 3 in 1 systemic miticide granules as a preventative on plants that are prone to mite infestations.

Hope it Helps,

John

Kodama16

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would put it in 100% shade. I would say these new buds dried out in the bright sun.

Unfortunately I have no where else to place it that it won’t get scorched. It’s under 80% and in between all the maples to give it a bit more. I’m hoping it actually more than 80%.
1. Chock up one side of the pot with a stone etc. This will help media dry out faster between waterings… but water only when you need to. Better to be a bit too dry from hereon out. But do not dry out.

that why I moved it to a nursery pot. Holes all around. And the bottom is 3“ large cypress bark for drainage. Then a pine bark mix I use on all my cuttings I grow. It not staying soak. I’m pretty happy with that. And use a water pen to make sure it’s dry enough before watering.
2. Use an anti fungal product.
i use infuse granular on everything. But I haven’t used a spray yet. I have cleary336 but every time I used it on a tree I over dose some how and the plant dies.
50/50 mix of. H2O / 3% H2O2 twice in one week to water. Then every three weeks.
b. Mist foliage and trunk with 1-2 TBSP H2O2 2-3x daily.
this is something I didn’t know or try yet. I’m going try this. When spraying it is 1-2 tbsp per gallon?
I have clearly but just afraid to use it on it. I alway kill plants when I use it lol.
New white roots is a good sign.
Slip potting sometimes causes more trouble than it solves as neither water nor roots move well between very different soil types. Slip potting certainly does not solve the problem of poor soil.
i totally agree. I originally slip potted it to give it more room to grow. I was afraid the smaller pot was causing the soil to dry out at the pot walls. Or over heat. I was planning to probe and inspect the roots when moving it. But when I went to slip pot the roots look good and healthy. A lot of white roots growing into the kunama. And half the soil stayed in the pot. Wasn’t compacted. Very clean.
something I forgot to say was after I did this it made me think it was repotted last fall before I got it. So I started to think that it got damaged or stunted from to much root removal from the previous owner repotting it?
this makes me wonder if is damage, fungi, or just stunted. This tree is really stumping me.
Your problem might not be fungal, you might have spider mites, but I see no webbing. They do not make a lot of web in until the colony really gets going. Or, some other type of mites, some are difficult to see with out a microscope. I had the exact same thing happening on several of my serissas. The leaves fell off and new growth was stunted and/or turned crispy. I took a sample to work and used the microscope and found that mites were the culprit.
ive been looking for pest but didn’t think about using a microscope. I have one so I’ll look. Going to go do that now lol.
For mites you need a miticide, I recommend Avid, it works really well and is translaminar, so it is easier to apply, you don't have to worry about getting both sides of the leaves. I use Bayer 3 in 1 systemic miticide granules as a preventative on plants that are prone to mite infestations.
so I use infuse granular for fungus and bonide for pesticide. I did just buy the 3n1 spray from bayer to treat all my trees for the hell of it. You think this will be ok for mites if it’s the problem?

this tree is my only tree out of 100 azaleas showing any problem. Would you think a fungi’s or pest would jump to the others?
I personally don’t think it’s a root rot or watering issue. I haven’t ruled out fungi’s. I though I was good on pest but now I’m second guessing that.

do y’all think if the roots are growing i should fertilize? I normally use miracle grow acid fertilizer cut to 50%. But I’m thinking that’s too strong. What would y’all use? I
i did throw a very weak bonsai sumo cake on it.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Unfortunately I have no where else to place it that it won’t get scorched. It’s under 80% and in between all the maples to give it a bit more. I’m hoping it actually more than 80%.

that why I moved it to a nursery pot. Holes all around. And the bottom is 3“ large cypress bark for drainage. Then a pine bark mix I use on all my cuttings I grow. It not staying soak. I’m pretty happy with that. And use a water pen to make sure it’s dry enough before watering.

i use infuse granular on everything. But I haven’t used a spray yet. I have cleary336 but every time I used it on a tree I over dose some how and the plant dies.

this is something I didn’t know or try yet. I’m going try this. When spraying it is 1-2 tbsp per gallon?

I have clearly but just afraid to use it on it. I alway kill plants when I use it lol.

i totally agree. I originally slip potted it to give it more room to grow. I was afraid the smaller pot was causing the soil to dry out at the pot walls. Or over heat. I was planning to probe and inspect the roots when moving it. But when I went to slip pot the roots look good and healthy. A lot of white roots growing into the kunama. And half the soil stayed in the pot. Wasn’t compacted. Very clean.
something I forgot to say was after I did this it made me think it was repotted last fall before I got it. So I started to think that it got damaged or stunted from to much root removal from the previous owner repotting it?
this makes me wonder if is damage, fungi, or just stunted. This tree is really stumping me.

ive been looking for pest but didn’t think about using a microscope. I have one so I’ll look. Going to go do that now lol.

so I use infuse granular for fungus and bonide for pesticide. I did just buy the 3n1 spray from bayer to treat all my trees for the hell of it. You think this will be ok for mites if it’s the problem?

this tree is my only tree out of 100 azaleas showing any problem. Would you think a fungi’s or pest would jump to the others?
I personally don’t think it’s a root rot or watering issue. I haven’t ruled out fungi’s. I though I was good on pest but now I’m second guessing that.

do y’all think if the roots are growing i should fertilize? I normally use miracle grow acid fertilizer cut to 50%. But I’m thinking that’s too strong. What would y’all use? I
i did throw a very weak bonsai sumo cake on it.

It probably would not hurt to spray. The tree may have had the mites last fall, just not as active. Most like it hot and dry. I noticed from your profile you are in Baton Rouge, I am in Mobile, and it has been hot and, for the most part, dry.

Kodama16

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It probably would not hurt to spray. The tree may have had the mites last fall, just not as active. Most like it hot and dry. I noticed from your profile you are in Baton Rouge, I am in Mobile, and it has been hot and, for the most part, dry.
Omg yea it has been. I’m spraying and soaking tomorrow.

you sir I’d like to intro Duce you to frank and his family.
10x mag
D90D07DA-F8C4-4BC5-B5B9-BFBC877E4C6E.jpeg
100x mag
F23DD971-3059-451D-B25E-9BACD9ECAF4E.jpeg

this leaf was less that 1/4”. I found 4 on it. This is why I love forums and people can talk about how they found there issues! I would never though pest! I would of never microscope a leave! I’m so glad I have a microscope!

god I’ll keep y’all posted. For months I been beating my head against the wall on this!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is something in that microphoto.

How was it identified as a mite?

Seems a symptom not a cause.

4 things that small won't take out a leaf.

Sorce

Kodama16

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is something in that microphoto.

How was it identified as a mite?

Seems a symptom not a cause.

4 things that small won't take out a leaf.

Sorce
That was a cell phone photo. Clearly seen through the scope. And over check other leaves now since and found many more. Might not be the main cause but it definitely not helping. So starting on them first.

Top Bottom