Azalea identification plz...

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hopefully somebody can have a stab at a name for these two azaleas...I know its not always easy, but i'm taking a chance.
I'm also curious to know which variety they are....that will be easier i'm sure.
They both have similar leave features...dark green, roundish, hairy and 'leathery'. The second one has a variegated leave though.
Flower size on both are 3.5 inches. Both have 7 stamens to.
First one...pink/darker pink edges with the yellow/green spots on one side of the flower.
IMG_20221206_123908.jpgIMG_20221206_123916.jpg

Second one

IMG_20221208_085949.jpg
IMG_20221208_090010.jpg

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
First one, is Issho no Haru. Little doubt. Thought it may be called Haru no Sono depending on the shade of the colours.

Second one, it has health issues. Chlorosis and petal blight. Is it supposed to have variagated leaves? Look at the all-pale branch in the last picture.
It doesn't seem to have a blotch at all. Don't know what it is.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hopefully somebody can have a stab at a name for these two azaleas...I know its not always easy, but i'm taking a chance.
I'm also curious to know which variety they are....that will be easier i'm sure.
They both have similar leave features...dark green, roundish, hairy and 'leathery'. The second one has a variegated leave though.
Flower size on both are 3.5 inches. Both have 7 stamens to.
First one...pink/darker pink edges with the yellow/green spots on one side of the flower.
View attachment 465193View attachment 465194

Second one

View attachment 465196
View attachment 465198
Hi Fredman,
I can’t be of any help sorry.
But there is a tiny snippet of a cultivar I would love to have in my collection please. In your first photo, top left corner, there is a pink/white flower (pink around the edges) which is not the one you want identified. Would you be able to share a few cuttings of this? Like 5 cuttings with wet paper towel in a zip lock bag. I can send you Chinzan, and/or others. Maybe I should set up a PM so I don’t hijack your thread. Oops, done that 😢.
Charles

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Fredman,
I can’t be of any help sorry.
But there is a tiny snippet of a cultivar I would love to have in my collection please. In your first photo, top left corner, there is a pink/white flower (pink around the edges) which is not the one you want identified. Would you be able to share a few cuttings of this? Like 5 cuttings with wet paper towel in a zip lock bag. I can send you Chinzan, and/or others. Maybe I should set up a PM so I don’t hijack your thread. Oops, done that 😢.
Charles
Hey mate. I can do that. Its a beautiful sight when its in full bloom. Its a bit past its best, but here's a photo as it is now
IMG_20221209_092609.jpgDon't know the name...unfortunately.
I'll take some cuttings on Sunday evening and send it off Monday morning. I'll PM you when they're off.
I'll also send you some 'Fascination' cuttings ;)

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First one, is Issho no Haru. Little doubt. Thought it may be called Haru no Sono depending on the shade of the colours.

Second one, it has health issues. Chlorosis and petal blight. Is it supposed to have variagated leaves? Look at the all-pale branch in the last picture.
It doesn't seem to have a blotch at all. Don't know what it is.
Wonderful. Thanks for that. I remember I had a Issho no Haru...but the name tag got lost :(
Yeah the blight has been a problem for some time. Not sure how to get that under control....?
Thanks for pointing out the chlorosis. I saw that, but suspected that the leaves changes as it matures....because I had in my mind its a variegated leaf.
When I look at the whole plant now, i'm not sure if it is variegation anymore.
This to me is definitely chlorosis
IMG_20221209_111936.jpg

In your opinion....is this chlorosis, or variegation?

IMG_20221209_112049.jpg

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey mate. I can do that. Its a beautiful sight when its in full bloom. Its a bit past its best, but here's a photo as it is now
View attachment 465260Don't know the name...unfortunately.
I'll take some cuttings on Sunday evening and send it off Monday morning. I'll PM you when they're off.
I'll also send you some 'Fascination' cuttings ;)
Ah...it seems its Daishuhai. Remember we talked about it last year ;)

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Ah...it seems its Daishuhai. Remember we talked about it last year ;)
Hi,
I have been wanting this ‘Daishuhai’ for some time now! So this is great news wow.
Sorry to be picky but I am not so keen on the non-Japanese type Satsuki, but if you could send some of the ‘Issho no Haru’ that would be really great 👍
Charles

Edit- Can I return send you something?

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi,
I have been wanting this ‘Daishuhai’ for some time now! So this is great news wow.
Sorry to be picky but I am not so keen on the non-Japanese type Satsuki, but if you could send some of the ‘Issho no Haru’ that would be really great 👍
Charles

Edit- Can I return send you something?
No worries mate. I'll do that.
Nah I don't want more...i'm still trying to downsize :D

Top Bottom