azalea identification?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A friend of mine bought a peach mutation kinsai years ago and has been breeding these from cuttings ever since.

Could be you might have gotten one. These are fairly rare imho.

Can you go back to the seller and confirm?

cheers
DSD sends

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The seller is closing his business (reached the age of 80). I will drop by on Saturday to check whether he can confirm.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I don't believe this is a Kinsai mutation. Look at the leaves. They are all very very narrow. The white with red tips mutation of 'Kinsai' is 'Togenkyo'. There might be a pink version of 'Kinsai', but I can't track it down. And if there would be one, it would need an additional mutation to make the leaves this narrow .

There is a mutation that causes both leaves and petals to be very narrow. It is found in the old cultivar 'Seigaiha'. But recently, breeders have created new varieties, including 'Starstyle Pink'. Now, this surely isn't 'Starstyle Pink' either. But among satsuki, there is 'Otakumi', which this isn't either. So I don't know what it is, but it might be a hybrid of 'Seigaha'. Nuccio bros also made a few similar to this. But those are unlikely to turn up in Belgium. Did it come from Japan or Asia?

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The narrowness of the leaves might be due to the picture angle. Here is the tree when I bought it. Second pic after a drastic cut.
kinsai.jpgIMG_20230204_085636.jpg

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It is not Kinsai because it ought to be red. I checked again how narrow Kinsai leaves can be, and it seems they can be a bit narrower than I remember. I guess it could still be a pink sport of 'Togenkyo' (or directly from Kinsai).

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey Glaucus,

found this on the net:
Jonas Dupuich states:

‘Kinsai’ is a popular satsuki azalea cultivar. The flowers are red and the petals are narrow. Mostly.
There are a few different variations of kinsai (pink flowers, wide petals, etc.), and there can be considerable variation among the flowers on a single tree.'

I'll ask mr. Bauwens tomorrow. Togenkyo seems possible too, after scrolling through some images on the net. The flower petals of Togenkyo seem a brit broader. To be continued!

Kind regards - hartelijke groeten

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Since this comes from Bauwens, it is very likely that this plant originates from Kinsai. But you wouldn't call it Kinsai. And since Kinsai is so old (400+ years) and Kinsai has given a sport that is white with red tips, I am sure in those past 400 years a pink flower appeared. However, it would still not be called Kinsai.

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Setting: somewhere in the suburbs of Brussels, in a very old and warm greenhouse...

Me: 'Mr Bauwens you told me some time ago this was a Kinsai' *shows picture*
Mr. B: 'If I said then it was a Kinsai it probably still is a Kinsai'
Me: 'Shouldn't the flowers be red then?'
Mr. B: Hm yes... Well nature works in mysterious ways. ' *takes a puff of his cigare*
Me: 'Was it imported?'
Mr. B: 'Yes it was. As a matter of fact I have some nice other imports. Take a look around and buy some.'

After some strolling and sweating in the greenhouse, I found a nice specimen.

Me: 'Mr. B what is the price of this one?'
Mr. B: 'Well originally this Hikorin was 300 euro, but since you brought me a blonde tripel beer you can have it for 125. It needs some attention and a repot but it has a really nice trunk.'

IMG_20230527_194508.jpg

IMG_20230527_202707.jpg

IMG_20230527_202716.jpg

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
After scrolling endlessly trough azalea images I think I might have solved it:

Kozan-No-Hikari !

My tree:

IMG_20230523_073752.jpg