Azalea In Bloom

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A few pictures of my azalea as it bloomed this year. I took pictures each morning and evening of the buds as they opened. This is a few that show from start to full bloom. You can see in the first picture without buds that I lost small shoot that was to be a limb. I think it was moved from under the carport winter storage to full sun too fast. I have really just watered and keep it alive through the winter. I got it from Brian Van Fleet, he had done the work. I cannot remember the age or type, he told me during transaction, maybe he will chime in with that info. When the blooms fall I will start some wire for limb structure. It is spending the night in carport with the hard rain coming through Bama.
One more picture in next post,

Have a Great Evening!
Michael

Attachments

• azalea.jpg
    azalea.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 101
  • azalea2.jpg
    azalea2.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 100
  • azalea3.jpg
    azalea3.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 118
  • azalea4.jpg
    azalea4.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 105
  • azalea5.jpg
    azalea5.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 68

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Morning Fog, last picture

One more picture, morning fog through the pines.

ML

Attachments

• azalea6.jpg
    azalea6.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 80

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Interesting roots in the first few pictures. If this was the front, it would make a pretty awesome shohin.

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If that was taken at your home, you live in an absolutely beautiful area! I love that last picture.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Great job Michael! That azalea has an excellent base, and it's nice to see it blooming! I believe it's a variety of Southern Indica. It will be good to see how the branches grow out this year and where you take it from here. Brian's comment is interesting...it could be a cool, FAT shohin...

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Brian and Brian,
Don't think I will cut it back any shorter, will study the small starter limbs after the blooms drop (they are starting to fade now..:( and see where to go from there.
Axxonn,
This sits on my deck, I can see the azalea and pines from most every room on the back of our home. We are on a 3 acre lot in the country, spend much time at night on the deck lookin up.
Thanks,
Michael

Bob O

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hi Micheal,

This is a cool azalea! I, like the other guys see an amazing possibility for a great shohin.

In your 3rd picture there is a shoot about half way down the trunk that you could work into a new apex, the rest is already in place to work out your branching.

What ever you do with it, thanks for sharing the blooms with us. :)

Bob O

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Bob, I have really enjoyed this years blooms. As stated it is my first year with the tree.
Sad to say, as of today it has lost one of the blooms and the others are starting to fade and the heat caused some wilt today. It perked up some with a drink of water, but maybe it is time to move it under the pines for shade. I was hoping to keep it on the deck in sight for longer but as the blooms go I think best to shade it. I will see how the limbs do this year, and work with it like it is for awhile. I can always cut it back to the limb you were looking at, others have mentioned the same point for new apex.
Thanks Again
Michael

Top Bottom