Azalea - Is it worth it?

Reaction score
So I been toying with growing a satsuki azalea for some time, having researched I decided this was likely silly as will take me three years just to get a three inch tall thing! I have found some here, I will add image as has price and description. Its £49 is that reasonable? For the size pictured, I have little knowledge of these only what I have been reading in preparation to purchase one.

image.jpg

bonsairxmd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Matt Smith is selling some now on eBay (which is brussel's stock). 1-1.5" (2.54 -3.81 cm for those that live in smarter countries that use metric :) ) trunk diameter for $200-250 which includes shipping to the U.S. at least. Not sure the cost to ship to the U.K. but at least that gives you a price comparison.

I bought one. Very healthy but I'm afraid it won't do well in my heat in the Oklahoma summer. Have since gotten a few hybrids locally and a kurume.

I'm not sure of a good source for azalea in the U.K.

bonsairxmd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The one on the left looks ok to me for that price but the one on the right has too long of a trunk before the first branches come off. Its kinda a weird shape for azalea bonsai. I don't have enough experience with Satsuki to know how well it would backbud down the trunk for some lower branches though

Reaction score
I have no experience yet but yeah, I looked at the one to the right and thought it looks a bit 'leggy' I would need to email them I think and request actual pics of what they have, before purchase.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Seems a little expensive to me. I would think that someone in Europe would have better stock. It might cost more money to get. I think that it will be a long time before those will have a base impressive enough for bonsai. Unless you choose to do a literati/bunjin.

Reaction score
So it turns out , my local garden centre have a massive stock of them, ranging in price from £5 upwards, so I grabbed a couple I liked the look of, both ever green though they did have deciduous ones there too, so we shall see how I get on with them. Not a bad size, especially for a fiver ! Though will need a lot of work over time to make them look how I would like. Still, a happy bunny :D

Reaction score
Okay so I think they been left to just grow any old how but here they are..... Where to start I dont know !
image.jpg

image.jpg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Let them be for a month or so. Keep the soil "damp" not wet. Do not fertilize for now and see if they continue to bud. That gives you a few weeks before doing anything and gives them a chance to show you if they are ok. Another thing is there is always a chance that new plants can come home with pests or fungal problems being in a hothouse. That time gives you a shot and taking care of them properly. Nice starters and not much to worry about for that money. I often tell people to get a couple of what they think they want small and cheap and learn them...

Grimmy

Reaction score
Yes for sure, I only wanted one but I saw about a 50 sat there and I was duelling hehe, these were £6 so very cheap and not a bad size to be fair, the deciduous one were much larger and even those were only £13 with a good size trunk. (already contemplating a return trip!)
I have bought some compost and fertiliser ready for them, and I read they like akadama so I might make a mix when I repot, which I think is best as you say to leave them for a while first. Just glad I finally found some!

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yes for sure, I only wanted one but I saw about a 50 sat there and I was duelling hehe, these were £6 so very cheap and not a bad size to be fair, the deciduous one were much larger and even those were only £13 with a good size trunk. (already contemplating a return trip!)
I have bought some compost and fertiliser ready for them, and I read they like akadama so I might make a mix when I repot, which I think is best as you say to leave them for a while first. Just glad I finally found some!

You will enjoy them for many years either way. Even if just potted and used as a landscape item. If you do get larger I am only "guessing" but it may be the correct weather there to work it hard such as drastic cutback, root pruning and potting. Really depends on your growing season because you want one that is heavily worked to go into Winter robust and healthy. Cut hard they normally take 30 days or less to back bud heavily and "if" there is enough growing season after that for it to fill out and get happy it "should" Winter well.

Grimmy

Reaction score
Well here in the UK its been very hot today all day summer is here early this year, though being up north it gets a little cold in winter, that said anyone in some parts of USA would laugh at what I consider to be cold! I would like to get the trunks thicker as they are about pencil think maybe atm, so likely need to allow them to just grow for a while, then hard prune them, though that's not something to worry about just yet. I have some larger plastic pots I can move them into also. It's normally fairly mild here until around September time so lots of time still.

Reaction score
So here is the base....
image.jpg
That one is a japonica vuyuck's scarlet...
image.jpg
And this one is japonica madame van hecke. I stuck a bic pen in for scale.

Reaction score
Since last week when I got them, one is now starting to show me some colour....

image.jpg
I have seen posts where people remove all buds but one, as you can see some have 3 or 4 should I be removing the additional buds? Or leave being as I just got them? Thanks :)

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I trimmed mine the other day before bloom -

Grimmy

Attachments

• GEDC1451.JPG
    GEDC1451.JPG
    565.7 KB · Views: 35
  • GEDC1453.JPG
    GEDC1453.JPG
    512.6 KB · Views: 36
  • GEDC1454.JPG
    GEDC1454.JPG
    595.9 KB · Views: 37
  • GEDC1456.JPG
    GEDC1456.JPG
    644.7 KB · Views: 38
  • GEDC1457.JPG
    GEDC1457.JPG
    408.1 KB · Views: 34
Reaction score
hahahaha yours looks very well established indeed!! Be some years to get mine there :)

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
hahahaha yours looks very well established indeed!! Be some years to get mine there :)

On a serious note... Most people that are trying to grow out many of the flowering types will prevent then from blooming at all. I let mine bloom and pinch them before they wilt as "I" think that works best. It may depend on location and growing season but that is what works here in 6b. Here is another I did that day as well. They are both in 11 x 16 x 4 inch deep trainers -

Attachments

• GEDC1458.JPG
    GEDC1458.JPG
    559.7 KB · Views: 31
  • GEDC1459.JPG
    GEDC1459.JPG
    631.2 KB · Views: 31
  • GEDC1460.JPG
    GEDC1460.JPG
    610.5 KB · Views: 31
  • GEDC1461.JPG
    GEDC1461.JPG