Azalea leaves yellowing and browning shortly after fertilizing

Reaction score
USDA Zone
This nursery azalea was repotted about a month ago into well draining soil (about 40/40/20 turface/pearlite/organic).

Since then it's been healthy and showing new growth.

4 days ago I put about two tablespoons of Holly Tone fertilizer on the surface and watered it in. Also watered with Neptune's Harvest when I watered the rest of my plants with the same.

This morning it looks very sad. Have I murdered his roots?

May 18

img_1526672205581.jpg

Today, May 25

20180525_082006.jpg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Could be a pH issue. Chlorotic leaves occur when the pH is off, due to the inability to take up iron and nitrogen. Lack of ironusually shows first in the youngest leafs.

I'm clueless about azaleas, but I keep hearing they need acidic fertilizer. That could be a hint at whats happening here.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Organic fertilizer would not do this. It's more likely a watering problem. The pot is relatively large for the size of the plant, so I would guess it may be staying too wet. If it's only on one side of the plant, as you current picture does not show the whole plant, it could be pests or sun damage.

This plant looks more like a Rhododendron than an azalea. Rhodies are more sensitive to the sun than azaleas, and they are slower to show symptoms of stress.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
We did have a ton of rain over the last week, so the fertilizing may just be a coincidence. I'll let it dry out and keep an eye on it.

Cheers, thanks.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I can not tell what size the pot is, for a 6 inch
diameter pot, 2 tablespoons of Holly Tone might be on the heavy side. It would be okay for a 10 inches pot.

It could be excess rain, or delay response to repotting. Give it time.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm new to the fertilizing tiny trees game, so I'm still learning.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
This plant looks more like a Rhododendron than an azalea
You're absolutely right. I went back and checked the tags, and it is "Purple Gem Rhododendron".

I did have him in full sun, so it's possible that combined with the ridiculous week of rain we had and repotting stress, it was too much for the poor fella. A shame, because it was really lovely. I'm going to keep an eye on it and see if there are any new signs of life, because there's still green under the bark, but the foliage is almost completely browned now. I've been keeping it in partial shade and being careful with watering, so you never know.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I dump fistfuls of Holly tone on my potted trees... several in pots of equal size to yours have had at least as much if not more put on the soil at one go without issue. I suspect something else is causing the yellowing. As others have mentioned excess sun, a root issue- too wet or too dry, perhaps.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Purple Gem are particularly sensitive to pH. You may need to check the pH of the potting mix. If it ain't lower than 6.5, -that's a big problem. 6.0 would be better.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Purple Gem are particularly sensitive to pH. You may need to check the pH of the potting mix. If it ain't lower than 6.5, -that's a big problem. 6.0 would be better.
Thanks, I'll definitely check that next time. I murdered two in a row, so that could be the culprit.

-Joe

Top Bottom