Azalea leaves

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Good stuff Martin.

I would stay away from the peat and perlite, otherwise there is a variety of soils that work for azeleas, don't want them soggy, definately not dried out.

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
I don't like the perlite either, but I have some and would like to use it up. Seems that everything I read recommends peat for Azaleas to help maintain acidity. I know it is hard to get wet and then stays wet for awhile, but I figured it would be okay if I watch the watering.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
May I suggest using it in a grow box containing a larger collected specimen maybe, to cut down on weight.:)

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
Perlite

The only reason I bought it was because in the middle of repotting, I ran low on Turface and basically needed some cheap and easily available filler. I hate it though. It's ugly, and when you sift it, you lose more than half. It also floats to the surface when watered, despite being weighed down by heavier components. It seems to work though.:) Good point about the weight, I wish my big watering can was a bit lighter.

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
Most of the flowers are blooming, and I had some time, so I thought I'd post some pics. Too bad I won't see them again for a few years.

Attachments

• azalea 1.jpg
    azalea 1.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 32
  • azalea 2.jpg
    azalea 2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 26
  • azalea 3.jpg
    azalea 3.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 28

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
Well the azalea put on a nice show this year so I thought I'd post a picture.

Attachments

• blooming azalea.jpg
    blooming azalea.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 40

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
Well those last two posts are a year apart, and last year I thought I would cut this years blooms off to divert energy into new growth, but I didn't end up repotting it and hadn't decided what to do with it so I let it flower again and it was nicer than last year.

Top Bottom