Azalea maintenance question

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
IMG_0355.JPG I acquired a few weeks ago a wonderful, thirty year old Ungetsu no Hikari, just after it has finished blooming and had been dead-headed. The weather here in Milwaukee for the last three weeks has been mostly sunny days [with the occasional daytime monsoon] and rain just about every other night--I haven't had to water in ten days. As a result, I have quite a bit of new growth on just about everything.

I've gently and judiciously trimmed back the bright green new shoots to maintain the beautiful styling, fertilized with a half-strength Miracid solution a couple of times. My question is this: what steps do I need to take, or what things to pay attention to, to create the best conditions for blossom formation next spring? Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Welcome and nice tree! I am sure others will chime in with expert advice.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you.
In searching for a translation of the name, I stumbled across a document online from 2006. It's a draft of a comprehensive index of all of the cultivars, by Japanese name, English translation, color pattern etc. by a gentleman named Paul Eslinger. It's at http://hiryuen.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7971&d=1272537437. I thus discovered that mine is "Light of the Cloudy Moon."

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for your thoughts. I know your observation to be true based on twenty five years of raising antique English roses. Since posting, I also discovered that if I prune too late in summer/early fall, I run the risk of amputating material which will be the basis of next year's flower buds.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Best blooms- keep fertilizing through this growing season, do not prune any more this season. In winter, they can handle a little cold weather but freezes in the Spring can mess up the blooms!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My only advice would be to not trim any more, and just let it grow. Trees cannot be maintained in a constant state of "tidiness". You have to let them grow out, which allows them to strengthen.

This is actually a great point that I don't think we talk about much. A lot of times people see bonsai only at shows or in books - when the trees in question are at their peak in terms of development. Like an athlete, you can't keep a tree in a constant state of "peak performance". You have to let it rest a little bit.

Top Bottom