Azalea : moss progress

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just showing the moss fill out the tray for my azalea,rim was all lava rock and fir bark noe its all filled in

Attachments

• 20201011_130650.jpg
    20201011_130650.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 131
  • 20200622_193504.jpg
    20200622_193504.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 115

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think that's Irish or Scotch Moss which isn't "Moss" and is not welcome on my plants, especially on the bark.

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think that's Irish or Scotch Moss which isn't "Moss" and is not welcome on my plants, especially on the bark.
I typically pinch it back from the bark but it kind of climbed it before I knew it. And im almost positive its schrebers big red stem moss,pleurozium schreberi,i could take closer pic but its not those

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As long as it hasn't got a deep rooting system. What is that like?
The moss? Its shallow carpet.. This pic is when a squirrel recently dug a little out..not that its the best pic

Attachments

• 20200916_103920.jpg
    20200916_103920.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a problem with the bark of azalea falling off with just too much water, living moss will make this worse.

I love moss more than azalea.

Sorce

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a problem with the bark of azalea falling off with just too much water, living moss will make this worse.

I love moss more than azalea.

Sorce
Yea I'll pick it off the bark its the only one i have that actually crawled up and I just kind of looked at lol

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry, I meant bark on top of roots! Be careful!

Sorce
Ill try to find pics of when i potted it but I drilled many holes in that tray and its allot of lava rock,it actually breathes great from what ive observed. With that lava rock "moat",i love this planting arrangement..it flowered great this year

But I'll def keep that in mind if it starts to decline..especially now that the moss reached that outer edge

Last edited:

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Nice,
you made my list of "experts" when you tossed out the botanical names of mosses without batting an eye. Not many have travelled that deep into the Bryophyte dungeons. I'll be calling on you when I have moss problems, or to identify a moss.

Looks good. My irrigation water is to high in minerals, running 180 mg/l total alkalinity as calcium carbonate. So moss is temporary. When I get plenty of rain, the moss grows and spreads, when I have to water with municipal water, the moss slowly deteriorates. That's good enough for me at the moment. but when showing bonsai becomes a priority having nice moss is important.

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice,
you made my list of "experts" when you tossed out the botanical names of mosses without batting an eye. Not many have travelled that deep into the Bryophyte dungeons. I'll be calling on you when I have moss problems, or to identify a moss.

Looks good. My irrigation water is to high in minerals, running 180 mg/l total alkalinity as calcium carbonate. So moss is temporary. When I get plenty of rain, the moss grows and spreads, when I have to water with municipal water, the moss slowly deteriorates. That's good enough for me at the moment. but when showing bonsai becomes a priority having nice moss is important.
Recognition much appreciated! I cant resist scooping it up as I go along..i keep lil nursery junkpot in my car just in case

That bucket of pincushion looks lil deeper than i prefer for bonsai but i just like to keep my stash full lol it finds its place sooner or later

Sometimes of its too tall (super thick pad of moss) ill just shave the bottom shallower.(before the point of making it fall apart).or if a young specimen pulled from wherever is kind of lengthy at the ground level between actual feeder root system and the above ground trunk(often the case when pulling trees from deciduous woods ,what with all the leaf decay and natural compost over time adding height to ground level,sometimes there is some space to close which the deep pads of moss work pretty well for)...or if its too darn tall ill just stash it in my flower bed...or shred and add to soil whatever ya want its always welcome over here

In fact i keep saying i wanna make neat little moss-scapes with those peices but i never get around to it lol..like just undertrays drilled for drainage and then moss n some mini ferns n stuff ..

Attachments

• 20200809_110821.jpg
    20200809_110821.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Message_1592612287829.jpg
    Message_1592612287829.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My favorite is the fern mosses though but i never come across them ..well not often at least..and when I do i grab it lol this was before the squirrels literally ransacked this groundcover-scape

Attachments

• 20200912_113616.jpg
    20200912_113616.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 20200912_113635.jpg
    20200912_113635.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 33

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This looks very much like the stuff that I keep pulling off everything here. Certainly my bonsaipots are forbidden ground!
Do the not invade all the bark?
My lack of experience with the fern mosses make it hard for me to say for sure..my only use of it was this moss scape..actually havent used it in a potting with a tree

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just have some at the foot of this gnarled thing I pulled from an abandoned lot..but other than that I'm not versed well eniugh with the fern varieties...i love they way they look tho ill do some research..online and in the field of course hehehe

Attachments

• 20200925_182818.jpg
    20200925_182818.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 56

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I love moss... but fight to keep it off my trunks :)

In Southern California our water was so alkaline the only time I would get moss was during the rainy season when I would use a lot of organic fertilizer. I found a secret source outside a carwash where they used softened water - and some of the water ran off on the street and the cracks were loaded with green moss that thrived in the full sun. Here in North Carolina it is everywhere - I just have to look. Typically you will be happiest if you find moss that matches the environment of your tree - shade moss for trees like azaleas, sun moss for your conifers, etc. I've got mosses growing all over a stone wall in my back yard, and every time I water my bonsai I water my moss wall :)

Top Bottom