Azalea not thriving question

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I got a gumpo azalea actually got a couple. This one is failing to thrive. The apex leave tips are turning brown, very little new growth on the lower portion of the tree. I think this may be an issue with root rot. It needs a repot. The soil it tight and don't drain well at all. I have slacked off on watering. This time of year is it ok to repot. I know early spring would be better. Any advice. Pics to come.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I got a gumpo azalea actually got a couple. This one is failing to thrive. The apex leave tips are turning brown, very little new growth on the lower portion of the tree. I think this may be an issue with root rot. It needs a repot. The soil it tight and don't drain well at all. I have slacked off on watering. This time of year is it ok to repot. I know early spring would be better. Any advice. Pics to come.
This time of year should be OK, just keep it out of full sun until it recovers---some nice dappled shade/sunlight would be nice. Does the pot take on any water at all?

If you are nervous about the repot, you could buy some time (til next year)by using a chop stick and inserting it into the soil all the way to the bottom. Wiggle it around until you have about a nickle-sized hole and back fill the hole with new soil. Do this in multiple places around the soil. I have done this numerous times when I have ran out of repotting time.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This time of year should be OK, just keep it out of full sun until it recovers---some nice dappled shade/sunlight would be nice. Does the pot take on any water at all?

If you are nervous about the repot, you could buy some time (til next year)by using a chop stick and inserting it into the soil all the way to the bottom. Wiggle it around until you have about a nickle-sized hole and back fill the hole with new soil. Do this in multiple places around the soil. I have done this numerous times when I have ran out of repotting time.
I hate to repot when its weak. But then again needing repot is what is causing it to be weak. I will try new chopstick with new soil.
My new soil is 70/30 kanuma/pine bark

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks like it dried out. Frost damage usually only browns up the new growth.

Keep the healthy azaleas more shaded.
Especially keep direct sunlight off the plastic pots.

I have one azalea that also got too much sun while not being watered and being in 100% kanuma. It doesn't show any sign of recovery. But it looks worse than yours.
Tissues inside the roots and stem may be damaged in my case. In your case, it looks like only the tips of the leaves.
No point in repotting it now.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks like it dried out. Frost damage usually only browns up the new growth.

Keep the healthy azaleas more shaded.
Especially keep direct sunlight off the plastic pots.

I have one azalea that also got too much sun while not being watered and being in 100% kanuma. It doesn't show any sign of recovery. But it looks worse than yours.
Tissues inside the roots and stem may be damaged in my case. In your case, it looks like only the tips of the leaves.
No point in repotting it now.
I opened up some holes with a chopstick and in the process of adding good soil in the holes. I got it on my recovery bench in part shade. Keeping a eye on it

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
There is a fungus that attacks the roots this time of year, I lost 6 azaleas last year to it. It starts out similarly, and eventually lead to death. I have had some success by soaking the roots in Phyton 27 or 35 once or twice a week until it recovers.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Moving to less Sun in an area where my Japanese maples do great helped mine fantastically.
1651702977973.png
This was the end of this March ^ ...

1651703108765.png
...and a more recent picture. So for me I have to think JM's not conifers :)
I provided no Winter protection, nor shade. My 1st azalea mistakes.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Moving to less Sun in an area where my Japanese maples do great helped mine fantastically.
View attachment 434178
This was the end of this March ^ ...

View attachment 434179
...and a more recent picture. So for me I have to think JM's not conifers :)
I provided no Winter protection, nor shade. My 1st azalea mistakes.

The weird part about this one is its right next to the rest of them. All the rest is growing like crazy. 20220501_085224.jpg

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The weird part about this one is its right next to the rest of them. All the rest is growing like crazy. View attachment 434180
I like the chop stick idea. Are the others that are doing well, as root bound?
I missed the window to repot my JWP this year, and used an awl to aerate the soil so it could percolate.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I like the chop stick idea. Are the others that are doing well, as root bound?
I missed the window to repot my JWP this year, and used an awl to aerate the soil so it could percolate.
The other ones perc good. This one is the only one that the soil is tight. Under water may be the problem. Water not getting to the main root ball. I added kanuma to the 7 holes i made. Placed kanuma on top and watered well. The soil loosened up alot and the water percolate alot better. Fingers crossed

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sounds like you’ve received some good advice about sitiing and some other topics. I’ll weigh in and hope not to confuse the issue. First off Gumpo/Gunpo isa very slow growing, fairly hardy azalea with exceedingly tough wood with big flower blossoms susceptible to rot.

What I’m seeing appears to be incidental damage from coming out of the winter, and some of the buds appear nipped or blasted, Lots of the new growth appears ok. That’s my first guess just looking at the tree, If so and your media is not a background issue, things will get better over time.

Yet this is a somewhat tricky time for azalea issues. Usually winter problems have shown up by now and are getting resolved while spring issues are just starting to kick in. This includes my most unfavorite springtime issue in Puget Sound, root fungus. Our rain patterns can really hasten root rot with poor choice of media.

Given good media, all one needs to do is chock up one side of the pots, or entire benches, and with good drain holes drilled in the ends of the pots, all will be well. Since your azalea is in plastic, this is easy to set up. You can use wood blocks or small rocks

Given poor choice of media, improper root washing when changing media, using two dissimilar medias, one in the care, one on the outside, things can go downhill rapidly. There are some things you can do. My favorite is Hydrogen Peroxide 3% cut 1:3 with water for a once or twice during the Spring drench if you feel root issues are kicking in. Then back up with 2TBSP 3% H2O2 in Qt Water. It’s the most environmentally friendly and very effective. I rarely use anything else on azaleas. @Mellow Mullet also mentioned a product he finds useful In his neck of the woods.

Not so sure when you say your media is hard? Was this azalea root washed and put into the Kanuma/Bark media, or was the original soil in the rootball core still intact when you added the new media.

If it’s the former situation, I’d say re site and watch.

It the latter situation my advice would be to properly rootwash the entire core clean now and put in one good draining media. Putting in cores is a half measure that will help the tree move along, but the issue will still be possible….and the timing is right just to totally fix the situation.

I use 90/10 Kanuma/pumice and it works for my trees, yet there are plenty of other good azalea media choices out there. My advice is to choose one that already works for people with lots of azaleas.

But your tree, your choice 😎

Good Luck
DSD sends

Three days in bed was enough for me.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Sounds like you’ve received some good advice about sitiing and some other topics. I’ll weigh in and hope not to confuse the issue. First off Gumpo/Gunpo isa very slow growing, fairly hardy azalea with exceedingly tough wood with big flower blossoms susceptible to rot.

What I’m seeing appears to be incidental damage from coming out of the winter, and some of the buds appear nipped or blasted, Lots of the new growth appears ok. That’s my first guess just looking at the tree, If so and your media is not a background issue, things will get better over time.

Yet this is a somewhat tricky time for azalea issues. Usually winter problems have shown up by now and are getting resolved while spring issues are just starting to kick in. This includes my most unfavorite springtime issue in Puget Sound, root fungus. Our rain patterns can really hasten root rot with poor choice of media.

Given good media, all one needs to do is chock up one side of the pots, or entire benches, and with good drain holes drilled in the ends of the pots, all will be well. Since your azalea is in plastic, this is easy to set up. You can use wood blocks or small rocks

Given poor choice of media, improper root washing when changing media, using two dissimilar medias, one in the care, one on the outside, things can go downhill rapidly. There are some things you can do. My favorite is Hydrogen Peroxide 3% cut 1:3 with water for a once or twice during the Spring drench if you feel root issues are kicking in. Then back up with 2TBSP 3% H2O2 in Qt Water. It’s the most environmentally friendly and very effective. I rarely use anything else on azaleas. @Mellow Mullet also mentioned a product he finds useful In his neck of the woods.

Not so sure when you say your media is hard? Was this azalea root washed and put into the Kanuma/Bark media, or was the original soil in the rootball core still intact when you added the new media.

If it’s the former situation, I’d say re site and watch.

It the latter situation my advice would be to properly rootwash the entire core clean now and put in one good draining media. Putting in cores is a half measure that will help the tree move along, but the issue will still be possible….and the timing is right just to totally fix the situation.

I use 90/10 Kanuma/pumice and it works for my trees, yet there are plenty of other good azalea media choices out there. My advice is to choose one that already works for people with lots of azaleas.

But your tree, your choice 😎

Good Luck
DSD sends

Three days in bed was enough for me.
Good to see you back up and kicking. Thanks for the reply. This is one of the azaleas given to me and I truly appreciate the gift. I believe these was reported in a kanuma in the mix soil. All of them seems to ne draining good but this one. When I got them the top of this one was nice and green and brown tips showed up. We have been out of frost for about 2 months now.
What I believe happened was water was running around the root ball and not into. After I added the holes with new kanuma and watered though, the browning has stopped so far. To be honest I was already thinking about chopping the top and wiring up another leader but that may not be necessary now.
I love this site such good people full of knowledge and willing to share it
I have noticed some black powdery substance on the trunk and limbs. Not alot but some. I sprayed with neem oil maybe that will help with it

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
my advice would be to properly rootwash the entire core clean now and put in one good draining media.
This is the comment I would focus on. It is always important to know what the root situation is and strengthen the plant. Continuing to work the tree when this is an unknown is not the best approach.
Progress is always benefitted by as healthier root system and your confidence with work progression will be stronger. Continuing to work under the circumstances could make the situation worse. I would advise choosing the option to create a healthier environment for the roots first.
Just my thoughts.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is the comment I would focus on. It is always important to know what the root situation is and strengthen the plant. Continuing to work the tree when this is an unknown is not the best approach.
Progress is always benefitted by as healthier root system and your confidence with work progression will be stronger. Continuing to work under the circumstances could make the situation worse. I would advise choosing the option to create a healthier environment for the roots first.
Just my thoughts.
I was on the edge of repot when I added the holes. And now the deed is done. I lifted the skirt and took a peek inside. To me alot of healthy roots not really any dead dark roots to speak of except on the surface layer. Those got removed. I did up pot just a little20220508_151015.jpg20220508_151018.jpg
I was gentle as I could be with the root ball. Removed all I could of the old soil. Wired in its new pot and tucked in with 50% kanuma, 25% turface and 25% pine bark. Its on my part shade bench. Fingers crossed.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It’s always good to make a decision in these cases. The more you work with a species the more confident you will be in the response to your care,

Good first root cleaning effort. Over time you will be find ways to remove all the previous media. Then you will be able to get a real up close look to see what’s happening.

Just in case you haven’t done aftercare from a younger azalea root wash.

For follow up care try to keep the plant in partial morning light afternoon shade for a couple weeks. Or bright shade. Also ease back a bit on the water. Finally wait a couple weeks before Fertilizing …. 1/2 strength liquid works well for me.

It will take about 4-6 weeks to fully recover.

Over and out
DSD sends

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Its in partial morning shade up until about 11 and about an hour full sun and the rest of the day in Brite shade. Thank everyone for there info, all is appreciated. I will give a update as it happens.

Top Bottom