Azalea Picture Identification Thread

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
If you have the photo archive, photos of the same plant over several years can show the range of flower colors better than one shot one season.

'Waka Ebisu' - this one normally blooms in June for me, its too early for 2021 photos. I got this from Teleperion - I have to assume the label is correct. Sometime before 2008, Chris Kirk imported some Satsuki from Japan, including 'Waka Ebisu' which I purchased I think in 2008. Some have doubted the identity of this plant, as the flowers do not match what is traditionally sold as 'Waka Ebisu'. There are several possibilities, it could be a mislabeled cultivar. It could be that most of the "pre-2000" propagated in USA 'Waka Ebisu' were not propagated in a way to preserve the full range of variation. So that most of the USA nursery 'Waka Ebisu' were no longer showing the full range of variation.

However, 'Waka Ebisu' is supposed to be a hose in hose double flower. Or at least older plants are supposed to be hose in hose. @Deep Sea Diver - John if you could check Callahan's book, see what the description there says about 'Waka Ebisu'. The fact that my plant never seems to throw anything other than single flowers, sometimes really large singles, has me leaning toward mine being mislabeled. So who know if this is really 'Waka Ebisu'? I would not take this as a "voucher specimen" for the cultivar, because I am not 100% certain it is labeled correctly. Though Teleperion Farm's is a good nursery, where they are pretty careful with names, the occasional accident can happen.

IMG_20200619_100615533.jpg IMG_20200619_100625543.jpg IMG_20200619_100742396.jpg

IMG_20180627_165801560_LL (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg

WakaEbisu-June24-2014a (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg WakaEbisu-June24-2014e (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg WakaEbisu-June24-2014stripes-small (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg WakaEbisu-June24-2014g (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg

WakaEbisu-June2011f (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg

The quality of my photos is hit and miss.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Leo!

Not a Waka Ebisu...

Both Galle and Callahan list Waka Ebisu as a deep yellowish pink with pink dots in (prominent) blotch, (sometimes slightly green throat RZC) lobes rounded (two ranked, slightly wavy) flowers hose in hose 2-21/2“. reports of blooming are from early to late... leaves broader toward tip, not shiny. See the photo from the 2020 Satsuki Dictionary.
Btw: The white variation shown in this photo is Shiro Ebisu, its white jiai sport.
4AD953D1-465C-4C29-B2F4-1209E54DF5C3.jpeg

There is also a Kurume Waka Ebisu - that is listed in Galle as a moderate red, very pale throat, dark blotch 1” flowers.

From your photos, it looks like you have something entirely different. I have a Waka Ebisu that wintered over In the ground. It hasn’t bloomed yet, but is pushing a lot of new growth. If there is a good blossom, I’ll post a photo here.

cheers
DSD sends

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
… you should have access to some good stock at the museum?

You would think so, No? however 70% were sold in the excess inventory sale. That’s where I got the Secchu no Matsu. Luckily I struck cuttings from most of those that left…. Since these were older Satsuki they were the traditional cultivars used back in the day… many still today. Eiken, Juko, Kakuo, or Kinsai family etc

A few of these I wintered over and are now 7-12” whips for my whips experiment. The rest are all ‘lil guys. So the cultivar photos shown here were plants acquired over the past two and a half years. 1/3 in pots node, 1/3 whips and cuttings, 1/3 in ground testing hardiness and growing out

Cheers
DSD sends

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You would think so, No? however 70% were sold in the excess inventory sale. That’s where I got the Secchu no Matsu. Luckily I struck cuttings from most of those that left…. Since these were older Satsuki they were the traditional cultivars used back in the day… many still today. Eiken, Juko, Kakuo, or Kinsai family etc

A few of these I wintered over and are now 7-12” whips for my whips experiment. The rest are all ‘lil guys. So the cultivar photos shown here were plants acquired over the past two and a half years. 1/3 in pots node, 1/3 whips and cuttings, 1/3 in ground testing hardiness and growing out

Cheers
DSD sends
Excellent keeping some cuttings to keep the genetics going!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Hi Leo!

Not a Waka Ebisu...

Both Galle and Callahan list Waka Ebisu as a deep yellowish pink with pink dots in (prominent) blotch, (sometimes slightly green throat RZC) lobes rounded (two ranked, slightly wavy) flowers hose in hose 2-21/2“. reports of blooming are from early to late... leaves broader toward tip, not shiny. See the photo from the 2020 Satsuki Dictionary.
Btw: The white variation shown in this photo is Shiro Ebisu, its white jiai sport.
View attachment 378031

There is also a Kurume Waka Ebisu - that is listed in Galle as a moderate red, very pale throat, dark blotch 1” flowers.

From your photos, it looks like you have something entirely different. I have a Waka Ebisu that wintered over In the ground. It hasn’t bloomed yet, but is pushing a lot of new growth. If there is a good blossom, I’ll post a photo here.

cheers
DSD sends

I will amend my label to "Unknown Satsuki"

Top Bottom