Azalea Picture Identification Thread

Prickly_pair

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would it be possible to post close up pics of the actual flowers.
Sorry, the flowers were removed about a month ago and I don't have any other photos, as this was only my 2nd year of ownership. I can't even promise some next year as I intend following the 3rd year flower bud removal.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Kasa-no-yuki
Welcome Aboard Bonsai Nut! … and to the Azalea Identification thread!

Really nice Azaleas!

Two things.

Wondering where you sourced these two azaleas?

Also, can you please post your approximate location and USDA Zone by double clicking your icon on the top of the page. That way its easier for folks to give/get help, and also you might meet someone nearby on the forum.

Welcome aboard once again!

cheers
DSD sends

Prickly_pair

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome Aboard Bonsai Nut! … and to the Azalea Identification thread!

Really nice Azaleas!

Two things.

Wondering where you sourced these two azaleas?

Also, can you please post your approximate location and USDA Zone by double clicking your icon on the top of the page. That way its easier for folks to give/get help, and also you might meet someone nearby on the forum.

Welcome aboard once again!

cheers
DSD sends
DSD - many thanks for the welcome and the compliments on the satsukis.

Both of them were purchased last year from Greenwood Bonsai Studio (bonsai.co.uk - thanks Corin), for a very respectable sum. They imported a number of different cultivars but I chose these two due to their structure and colour/mass of flowers.

Thanks for the heads up re location/zone. Unfortunately being located in Scotland we don't have USD zones.......just a great environment for growing rhododendrons. I did double click my icon but it's not apparent where you type in your location. Could you please explain more (sorry if it's just me)?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
DSD - many thanks for the welcome and the compliments on the satsukis.
Nice to see new folks wanting to participate!
Both of them were purchased last year from Greenwood Bonsai Studio (bonsai.co.uk - thanks Corin), for a very respectable sum. They imported a number of different cultivars but I chose these two due to their structure and colour/mass of flowers.
Pretty jealous. US growers are lagging the market due to CV19 issues.
Thanks for the heads up re location/zone. Unfortunately being located in Scotland we don't have USD zones.......just a great environment for growing rhododendrons.
There are worldwide zones…. Try this link
I did double click my icon but it's not apparent where you type in your location. Could you please explain more (sorry if it's just me)?
No worries. Click your icon. When it opens click on ‘Account details’. Scroll down to the respective areas and enter this data.

btw did you hear about the new satsuki azalea fundamentals book by Rick Garcia? Preorders are being taken now.

cheers
DSD sends

Prickly_pair

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice to see new folks wanting to participate!

Pretty jealous. US growers are lagging the market due to CV19 issues.

There are worldwide zones…. Try this link

No worries. Click your icon. When it opens click on ‘Account details’. Scroll down to the respective areas and enter this data.

btw did you hear about the new satsuki azalea fundamentals book by Rick Garcia? Preorders are being taken now.

cheers
DSD sends
Many thanks for the help DSD.

Yes, Corin (Greenwood Bonsai) produced a very informative Youtube video discussing Satsukis and showing some of the newly acquired imports that were for sale. I ordered a couple, which were already in flower, straight away and hit lucky. I now wish I had ordered some more at the time.

Thanks for the global and uk zone maps. I didn't know that such a thing existed.

'Account details' now clicked and information now updated 👍 (didn't see the hyperlink).

I was reading in this thread about Rick Garcia's new book. It looks to be a worthwhile addition to any collection. Unfortunately for my location I would have to add the extra $60 carriage, which prohibits (for now).

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
'Kasa no Yuki' is the 'Amagasa' fukurin/jewel border sport. So huge flowers.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice that’s a good goer cultivar. One of the full double Satsuki around. I had a Beni Botan growing out for a couple years in the garden and potted it last year. Hopefully it will bloom this year again!

Cheers
DSD sends

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Anyone out there have any photos of a mature/refined Kazan (the full plant) in bonsai form? I don’t know if it’s because the sport has not been around long enough for there to be bigger, more mature examples but I can’t seem to find anything online except very immature trees and those terrible Brussels examples.

(Apologies, I know this is the flower thread but I wasn’t sure where else to get the attention of the most azalea enthusiasts)

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Anyone out there have any photos of a mature/refined Kazan (the full plant) in bonsai form? I don’t know if it’s because the sport has not been around long enough for there to be bigger, more mature examples but I can’t seem to find anything online except very immature trees and those terrible Brussels examples.

(Apologies, I know this is the flower thread but I wasn’t sure where else to get the attention of the most azalea enthusiasts)
Maybe not mature/refined but Nuccio's has them and they're better than the Brussel's ones.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Please keep this thread picture related to azalea flowers. If you have specific questions start a new thread, thanks.

Top Bottom