Azalea Picture Identification Thread

bunjin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I attach three photos of currently flowering cultivars. The degree of difficulty of doing one shot of all variations of a multi-colored Satsuki is not to be underestimated20210529_182103.jpg20210601_152705.jpg20210528_172738.jpg. I will refrain from further postings from older files unless someone makes a specific request as this thread has the potential of being as large or larger than the dictionary!
1. Juko - It reliably blooms the full range of variations, even smaller specimens.
2. Benibotan
3. Shikokan - my specimen has yet to exhibit a solid dark flower.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I attach three photos of currently flowering cultivars. The degree of difficulty of doing one shot of all variations of a multi-colored Satsuki is not to be underestimatedView attachment 378426View attachment 378427View attachment 378429. I will refrain from further postings from older files unless someone makes a specific request as this thread has the potential of being as large or larger than the dictionary!
1. Juko - It reliably blooms the full range of variations, even smaller specimens.
2. Benibotan
3. Shikokan - my specimen has yet to exhibit a solid dark flower.
Thanks for posting. Please remember one cultivar per post to avoid confusion.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I also have this 500 page book from the 80's with azalea ID info.
Imagine how many there are nowadays.

Great thread! @Pitoon
View attachment 378451View attachment 378453
This book has 1400 satsuki, and it's from 2014. The 2020 version I believe added 500 more.

I've did some interesting satsuki crosses this year. The seed pods are starting to swell so that means I was successful with hand pollinating. In 3yrs hopefully I can introduce some new satsuki cultivars here in US.

I would like to get some cuttings of your Apple Blossom if possible. I can trade once I get my cuttings rooted in a couple months.

20210601_210205.jpg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This book has 1400 satsuki, and it's from 2014. The 2020 version I believe added 500 more.

I've did some interesting satsuki crosses this year. The seed pods are starting to swell so that means I was successful with hand pollinating. In 3yrs hopefully I can introduce some new satsuki cultivars here in US.

I would like to get some cuttings of your Apple Blossom if possible. I can trade once I get my cuttings rooted in a couple months.

View attachment 378460
That's freakin awesome dude!

I literally just cut it back hard a few days ago... the apple blossom.
I'll let ya know when it grows back.
What time of year would you prefer to take a cutting?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That's freakin awesome dude!

I literally just cut it back hard a few days ago... the apple blossom.
I'll let ya know when it grows back.
What time of year would you prefer to take a cutting?
If it's a late bloomer like satsuki then the flush should be hard enough to take cuttings late June or July. But since you cut back hard it will push it to August/September to take cuttings. September is kinda of late, it might not be enough time before the cold comes. If not this year for sure next year. I've been looking for the Apple Blossom cultivar for a while now.

I plan to take several hundred satsuki cuttings later this month.....plenty to trade ;)

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
If it's a late bloomer like satsuki then the flush should be hard enough to take cuttings late June or July. But since you cut back hard it will push it to August/September to take cuttings. September is kinda of late, it might not be enough time before the cold comes. If not this year for sure next year. I've been looking for the Apple Blossom cultivar for a while now.

I plan to take several hundred satsuki cuttings later this month.....plenty to trade ;)
No problem.
I'll be in touch.
I'd love to contribute to your operation.

Top Bottom