Azalea Picture Identification Thread

Hoyonokuma

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm sorry to interrupt this beautiful streak of pictures with a question but I think I'm getting very flowers/azalea needy and I'd LOVE to know if there's some particular 'shade' tolerant/hardy cultivars 😃😃

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'd LOVE to know if there's some particular 'shade' tolerant/hardy cultivars

All azaleas can tolerant some shade. Yet they do need at least 4 hours of sun. By and large their natural habitant is woodland edges. There are some notable cold hardy exceptions like the R. poukhanense, R. mucronatum, Robin Hill and Girard azaleas.

The more shade an azalea gets, the more leggy and the fewer flowers. The upside is the flowers last longer then those in more sun….

More sun yields more compact azaleas with abundant flowers.

The real question is ”What types of azalea are cold hardy enough to survive in Augsburg that will tolerate —- amounts of shade?”

That’s a good question for you to ask your local nurseries unless there is someone here from your specific area. For them, it’s sheer economics. If they buy azaleas that survive in their customer’s yard, they make money.

cheers
DSD sends

Hoyonokuma

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The real question is ”What types of azalea are cold hardy enough to survive in Augsburg that will tolerate —- amounts of shade?”

That’s a good question for you to ask your local nurseries unless there is someone here from your specific area. For them, it’s sheer economics. If they buy azaleas that survive in their customer’s yard, they make money.
Hit the nail on the head.
I'll look for local sellers and try to get some onfos.
Thanks for the hint!

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think Apple Blossom is a Kurume, ??
@just.wing.it

There is a Kurume Appleblossum (syn) Ho o’) a Domoto introduction in the early 1900’s.

It’s described as a single flower white tinged strong pink with a darker pink blotch and occasional pink stripes. This is not the flower in the photo.

However, that photo is a hose in hose flower. From the photo it looks exactly like the description of a Lewis Hybrid Indian Hybrid named Apple Blossom Time.

So not a Satsuki, yet beautiful all its own. I like it a lot 😎

Cheers
DSD sends

bunjin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm sorry to interrupt this beautiful streak of pictures with a question but I think I'm getting very flowers/azalea needy and I'd LOVE to know if there's some particular 'shade' tolerant/hardy cultivars 😃😃
With most azaleas shade is almost always preferable to sun except at extreme latitudes. I think adapting to your local climate zone will be the challenge, not lighting.

Hoyonokuma

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
With most azaleas shade is almost always preferable to sun except at extreme latitudes. I think adapting to your local climate zone will be the challenge, not lighting.
We just moved to what is supposed to be our final house and have much more light than in our previous location.
Yet, I've been told our water here contains a lot of lime which is also less than optimal for azaleas.
I'd have to find a way to save raining water or use a filter.. Not a big deal, perhaps, but I guess I'll leave this azalea dream to those who can afford it and rather pursue some other flowering species who seem to grow without problems here (malus for one).
Thanks for the honest opinions btw😄

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So sorry to hear that. I do have to disagree about the sun light requirements. Most Satsuki can handle full morning sun along as can many other azaleas.

I have at least 75 azaleas in full morning and part afternoon sun in my backyard as well as 20ish in full Sun from 11am -8pm in the front, So as always the answer is it depends…. This time on the cultivar and your care.

As far as water pH goes, it all depends again. At first it can be corrected by many different means, some relatively inexpensive.

Once again, your local nursery will know best for both subjects.

Cheers
DSD sends

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
In the ground azaleas can take full Atlanta sun. My old home had at least 20 azaleas in 100% sun and they had no issues. Bonsai pot, I won't be so confident. In general they do grow on the edges of forests and along creeks and probably have more than normal shade. So sorry I have probably 15-20 azaleas but don't have any pictures. Will be sure to catalog next year to contribute to this great thread.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Please keep this thread to identification......the thread is starting to loose focus.

Maintenance and care should be its own thread.

Top Bottom