Azalea Picture Identification Thread

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow, that's a late bloom.
Yep. It’s was one of the root washed Satsuki I did this year. Some burst into new growth in a couple months. So this is Tail End Charlie in the pack.
This cultivar also doesn’t like cutbacks. The rest are already back budding to beat all.
There are actually 3 more buds waiting in the wings.
Cheers
DSD sends

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hanabin …rip😡

Attachments

• 5A15114D-3455-4355-8F32-9A8BC2909134.jpeg
    5A15114D-3455-4355-8F32-9A8BC2909134.jpeg
    290.7 KB · Views: 29

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Happy Friday!

A little fun history.

This is a little Kurume azalea called Sun Star.

Its one of the original Kurume azaleas purchased by the elder Toichi Domoto in San Francisco after seeing a display of 31 Kurumes brought to the 1915 Pan Pacific Exposition in San Francisco by Mr. Akashi of Kurume. Mr Domoto actually brought a number of Kurume cultivars into the US to sell from his Harvard, CA nursery during the period 1915-1920 and was granted the exclusive right to propagate and sell Kurume Azaleas.

Its interesting that Henry Dreer substituted English names, not japanese translations, for the Japanese names….and the records of the original names were subsequently lost in time. Confusing lots of folks over the past century.

Sun Star blooming off a cutting today, with another bud in behind.

CCAB18C6-687F-4CAF-AF99-B5E7E1440605.jpeg

Just for scale here’s my little fingernail in the next image. C6DD5E4C-5E7B-4AEA-B915-F38A67DE8449.jpeg

cheers
DSD sends

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Happy Friday!

A little fun history.

This is a little Kurume azalea called Sun Star.

Its one of the original Kurume azaleas purchased by the elder Toichi Domoto in San Francisco after seeing a display of 31 Kurumes brought to the 1915 Pan Pacific Exposition in San Francisco by Mr. Akashi of Kurume. Mr Domoto actually brought a number of Kurume cultivars into the US to sell from his Harvard, CA nursery during the period 1915-1920 and was granted the exclusive right to propagate and sell Kurume Azaleas.

Its interesting that Henry Dreer substituted English names, not japanese translations, for the Japanese names….and the records of the original names were subsequently lost in time. Confusing lots of folks over the past century.

Sun Star blooming off a cutting today, with another bud in behind.

View attachment 411758

Just for scale here’s my little fingernail in the next image. View attachment 411757

cheers
DSD sends
Nice is that the full sized flower or reduced because of the size of the cutting.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You’d think it would be reduced because of the size of the cutting…. yet

Sun Star’s flowers are listed as 1” . That’s 1/16” more then the cutting’s flower shown.

I’ve been seeking small flower azaleas to test for small bonsai and this is one of the group like Kermisiana Rose, Sweet Brier, Bixby Dwarf.

Best
DSD sends

Last edited:

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi all, after consulting the Australian Satsuki website, I am vaguely sure I have the correct cultivars. Because we are closely linked to Aust. I think we imported some of these.
Isshu-no-TsukuF25F061E-101C-420C-9625-FC1DF99BC9DA.jpeg
0A560D4F-A7A3-4CA0-887E-156CE7A5F526.jpegKusadama
Juko9029E275-73DB-4EB9-8053-AAA90A634BE2.jpeg
3BFA40BF-A9E7-4B07-B1A6-C87A763995B3.jpegMeicho
Conversation PieceB19FA9A0-2B42-4ED9-A58E-E8F8AA09C155.jpeg
Nuccio’s Wild Cheery523EE490-50D2-4A37-B6E8-D9B6E341A089.jpeg
Oh, there is a possibility that Isshu-no-Tsuki is not correct, and that it is the second flower form of Kusadama.
Charles

Attachments

• 0F8824E7-09EF-403E-BCE2-DB350A6B34A2.jpeg
    0F8824E7-09EF-403E-BCE2-DB350A6B34A2.jpeg
    261.6 KB · Views: 6
  • E2506E9B-F8BC-42A9-A5F1-A340077B7041.jpeg
    E2506E9B-F8BC-42A9-A5F1-A340077B7041.jpeg
    249.9 KB · Views: 4

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The first one 'Isshu no Tsuki' looks similar to Shinnyo no Tsuki. But I have never grown that so not 100% sure about the leaf shape.
I see in Callaham that Isshu no Tsuki is a Aus & NZ variety. It does not appear in the Japanese dictionaries. Possibly misnamed.
Kudasama would be a variegated sport of Shinnyo no Tsuki.
I don't think that is Juko. Seems like something like Pink Gumpo.
Juko should have narrower leaves and star-shaped flowers.
Not familiar enough with Meicho.
I have a solid pink sport of 'Conversation Piece' and the foliage of my plant and your picture seem identical. Quite sure this is Conversation Piece, so don't be thrown off if you see pale pink versions because you have a jewel border sport, it seems.
I think DSD will tell you that is indeed Nuccio's Wild Cherry. But I have seen only pictures.

Not sure what the ones in your attachment are.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@KiwiPlantGuy - Charles,
There are so many thousands of cultivars of azalea, that once the provenance is lost, (lost tag), there is no way to figure out with certainty from photos what cultivars you might have. If you know your the nurseries you purchased from, and they still have inventory lists for the years you purchased, you can narrow your "lists of suspects" to cultivars they carried.

We can all make "pretty good guesses", but they will never be better than guesses. That is the problem with loosing tags, loosing the provenance of our plants. Be they azalea, camellia, orchids, or any other collectable botanical. There are simply too many hybrids out there. I have my own collection of "no tag, lost tag" azalea, orchids & others. One I know is an awarded orchid that hasn't been "cloned" yet, which means it could be worth serious money, but I don't have the tag, so it is worth no more than the $10 grocery store Phal.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@KiwiPlantGuy - Charles,
There are so many thousands of cultivars of azalea, that once the provenance is lost, (lost tag), there is no way to figure out with certainty from photos what cultivars you might have. If you know your the nurseries you purchased from, and they still have inventory lists for the years you purchased, you can narrow your "lists of suspects" to cultivars they carried.

We can all make "pretty good guesses", but they will never be better than guesses. That is the problem with loosing tags, loosing the provenance of our plants. Be they azalea, camellia, orchids, or any other collectable botanical. There are simply too many hybrids out there. I have my own collection of "no tag, lost tag" azalea, orchids & others. One I know is an awarded orchid that hasn't been "cloned" yet, which means it could be worth serious money, but I don't have the tag, so it is worth no more than the $10 grocery store Phal.

Valuable orchids I "double tag" one tag is just stuck in the pot in the normal way. A second tag has a hole in it, and is tied to the rhizome with fine bell wire, and buried in the pot when I pot up the orchid. This way, if the orchid gets knocked out of its pot, it still has its name tied to it. I do similar with my azalea and camellia. Both a tag in a pot and a tag wired to a branch.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Happy Tuesday,

Huang 2-5-71 recently renamed to George Drake. Fairly rare. Many have very unusual traits. The Huang azaleas originated in China before the cultural revolution by a Mr Huang who was sent to a work camp during the revolution.

Dr Drake, who was quite a leader, secured cuttings later on down the line and introduced these hybrids to the US. https://www.azaleas.org/huang-hybrids/

C8B0B1A4-63FD-48EF-986B-16A7ED48D6C2.jpeg

I secured a couple liners off this guy from Ronnie Palmer of Azalea Hills Nursery a couple years back. Last year I made some cuttings of these to test them out from hardiness and bonsai potential. So far so good.

Cheers
DSD sends

Last edited:

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Happy Tuesday,

Huang 2-5-71 recently renamed to George Drake. Fairly rare. Many have very unusual traits. The Huang azaleas originated in China before the cultural revolution by a Mr Huang who was sent to a work camp during the revolution.

Dr Drake, who was quite a leader, secured cuttings later on down the line and introduced these hybrids to the US. https://www.azaleas.org/huang-hybrids/

View attachment 422286

I secured a couple liners off this guy from Ronnie Palmer of Azalea Hills Nursery a couple years back. Last year I made some cuttings of these to test them out from hardiness and bonsai potential. So far so good.

Cheers
DSD sends
Very nice! Hopefully in 10 yrs there will be a PIT-EKA lineage of satsuki we can post pictures on here.

Top Bottom