Azalea Picture Identification Thread

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
'Shiryu no Homare….

Finally had time to bird dog this one. This both @arreaux and @Ninecloud ’s azaleas appear to be the compact flower form of Shiryu no Homare . More properly named as Shiryu no Homare Compacta. Not sure if the leaves are smaller too….

Not sure if it’s the dominant form of the flower as @Glaucus suggested as happens in Kinsai when the dominant form over takes the ‘fireworks” form and takes over the plant and becomes the less desirable flower form called Kinka. Definately possible.

But it also seems totally possible a “Witches Broom“ mutation also might of created this variation of the main cultivar. Especially if the leaves were a smaller size.

cheers
DSD sends

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
'Reiko' (麗子, so the seedling of Reikou)

1685676228545.png

White centers this year are much larger than last year. However, no stripes are appearing. So maybe indeed the pale colour was lost in this individual.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
'Shisen'
1685676535604.png
1685676563386.png

Some good variation on this individual plant. Appraently, this is one of the earliest 'true' satsuki. I wouldn't say it is that early for me this year. However, this one has many many flower buds. Usually there are is 1 per shoot. My 'Shisen' often has 3 per terminal shoot. In that respect, it is like a kurume rather than a satuski.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Gosh what’s the flower size? I can’t tell exactly… looks little biggish for a kurume.

Best
DSD sends

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks. Yes this tree is definitely not correctly identified. I’m out of town now. Will repost when I get back to town.

cheers
DSD sends

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ok, correction on my last!

Sechi no Tsukasa

IMG_8851.jpegIMG_8852.jpegIMG_8868.jpeg

Cheers
DSD sends