Azalea project/progression

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I picked up this Azalea in October 2019 from a local collection sale. Plant was pretty overgrown at the time with branch extensions ~18 inches on either side of the pot.

Below pics I believe are front/back (Oct 19):

IMG_8635.JPG WDOQ1551.JPG

I pruned back pretty hard after getting it home due to limited space. Was looking to get some backbudding on older wood - then cut back further down the line.
There was a phantom pine tree in the pot (right side) and also a branch growing into the soil (on the left) that wedged into and rooted in the corner of the pot.

IMG_8644.JPG

The following Spring (2020) I repotted into kanuma with black lava top. Tree had been in mostly potting soil prior. This was my hardest repot at the time - took about an hour to get the pot loose. I left the tree in the same pot I purchased it in - will change it up next repot.

IMG_9625.JPG

I did very minimal work to this tree for the entire growing season - outside trimming downward branches and removing spent flowers. Last years growth was solid, but sparse as the tree recovered. This spring has been much stronger - I was no longer getting light into the center of the tree and flowers were emerging under leaves. Back/front before any trimming:

IMG_1079.JPGIMG_1082.JPG

Good opportunity today to thin out the elongating shoots, remove dead leaves - and a little (early) attention on ugly old deadwood cuts. I'm going spend more time on deadwood over the next few weeks. Was also able to cut further back on the branches to nice strong leaders.

IMG_1088.JPG

The top right branch has back-budded a bit, but the growth seems to be having trouble extending. I'm hoping this area will respond well to the trim.

Next up for this is to enjoy the rest of the flower show and wire the shoots behind today's cuts.

Attachments

• IMG_1090.JPG
    IMG_1090.JPG
    271.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1091.JPG
    IMG_1091.JPG
    321 KB · Views: 98

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Interesting material. It will be fun to see what it’s final style will look like!
cheers
DSD sends

bunjin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It appears that you are attempting jins. Very difficult. if not impossible, to do with azaleas. This is a very old plant and it will take longer to recover, but repotting quickly was a good decision. Your photos will be much better for analysis if you use a backdrop. You will have some decisions to make regarding the apex. Good luck with it!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great potential, but as already stated, forget the Jin.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
On the "jins":

The tree has a few old (long-dead) branches with flat cut tips. Those branches don't always attach to live wood - so a transition is involved on dead wood at some point in time.

I pulled some bark away in a few places to experiment with bits and finish next week. I have to harden a bit of old (interior) deadwood, but ran out of supplies.

Hope for this tree is that the top right branch gains strength - so no healing wounds on trunk this year.

Will plan on any lingering big cuts for Summer '22 - including the branches I'm testing on.

They do look ridiculous right now - appreciate folks keeping me honest.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
On the "jins":

I’d shave those wounds flush now, don’t wait, and cut paste with the putty stuff.

Also avoid creating a hole up top through the trunk if possible if you haven’t once already. It’s really hard to chase decay inside the trunk.

Cheers
DSD sends

btw : Try not to cut yourself like I did last time. 😉 Next time I will use multiple chisel sizes just like the Pros!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
My grandmother turned 93 this year. Some recent health issues have made it impossible for early Spring gardening duties for the first time (one hell of a run!).

Made the trip back to my hometown to help out a bit this year... weeding, mulching, trimming of ornamental trees and bushes.

Unbeknownst to me, she's had a couple Azaleas in the garden for 30-ish years... and not super fond of them (not blooming, huge mess).

I did a good hard cut back - and it reminded me a lot of one I already have (the focus of this thread). We spent some time going through pictures of my trees - and decided this one is destined for my collection someday :).

Couple pictures here: i) close up on the trunk (at least what's above the soil) and ii) cut back and mulched... the Azalea on the right is not nearly as interesting, but I'll take that one too.

scale.jpeg

mulched.jpeg

Top Bottom