Azalea repot 100% Kanuma or mix?

Recoil Rob

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Noob here.

A friend got a small azalea from 1800FLOWERS as a gift, looks to be in a compost mix and doing ok but I'll be doing my first repot of any type on it and have read Kanuma is the way to go for long term Azalea bonsai.

I have obtained some 5mm Kanuma, is it used alone or should I mix some pumice and lava or even akadama in?

thanks,

Rob

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't think either is really a poor choice. I go with straight kanuma.

Reaction score
Depends on climate. Kanuma stays wet longer. Here mostly we go for a mix. But since my tree almost went to bonsai-heaven we washed kanuma away and placed it in Akadama. It's against usual practice. I think you have to take what is common in your area and be sure to adjust watering.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Either straight Kanuma or a Kanuma/pumice Mix.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It is fine in the compost mix.

This is one of those little pencil thin trunked trees growing in a tiny pot, correct? Get it out of there, slip pot into a one gallon with some potting soil and let it grow for a couple years... then up pot to a 3 gallon and let it grow for another 5-10...
Or, better yet, stick it in the ground.

A couple years from now, as you learn more about what actually makes a good bonsai, you will be much much happier with it if you do that.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Ah well...Kanuma is pumice. I've used both with equal success. OK purists, pile it on!:p Being next door to an active volcano the rain is acidic which azalea's like. Flat rate shipping makes it pretty painless and there are people on FB bonsai auction pages who deal in it, Akadama, etc.

Recoil Rob

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'm in NY, 6B. I have the Kanuma already, just wondering if I should mix it or use it straight.

Yes, it is one of those small, pencil necked azalea's but I'm trying to do nice for a friend who doesn't care to wait 3-5 years and about what actually makes a good bonsai. Actually not that skinny, that pot is about 6x4...

IMG_4087.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ah well...Kanuma is pumice. I've used both with equal success. OK purists, pile it on!:p Being next door to an active volcano the rain is acidic which azalea's like. Flat rate shipping makes it pretty painless and there are people on FB bonsai auction pages who deal in it, Akadama, etc.
They're both of volcanic origin, but different. Pumice is a glass. Kanuma is a clay. I can take a piece of Kanuma in my fingers and crush it. Can't do that with pumice.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
It's true, can't crush pumice but I've seen Kanuma labeled "Japanese Pumice" so I thought they were both glass. Is Kanuma volcanic? If Kanuma isn't glass is it pumice? If I don't really care why am I still thinking about it. If otherwise maybe or not certainly ought to be that if it were relevant considering suggested o
r
pl
ea
se
he
lp
me.

Top Bottom