Azalea Rescue

binwow

Seedling
Reaction score
Rescued yesterday one Azalea that was on my neighbours house in very bad shape. I cut back some of the brown stuff to encourage more growth, transplanted and cut back roots. Would she be safe? I guess so because I did a massive cut back on another Azalea on the end of winter and she is booming. Also any styling suggestions will be very much appreciated, I like this trunk very much! PS: Flower is white with pink undertones :)

azalea.png

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I've successfully transplanted azaleas from garden to pots all times of the year so I think it should be fine but there may be differences in the types of azaleas grown in some places and could well be differences in what can bee done in different climate zones.
Having a location in your personal profile will help other readers understand your climate and what plants you are likely to be growing.

No point thinking of styling until it is clear that the plant has survived the transplant. Even then, azaleas are slow to recover. I don't do any more work on azaleas for 2-3 years after transplant when they are growing strong.

binwow

Seedling
Reaction score
Sorry about that, should have my profile with more information you're right! My question regarding style is just to know if I should cut anything back or just let it grow? I would like to remove unwanted branches to prevent further issues, Azaleas with this trunk movement are not that usual and I can't find any place to guide me on this topic. regarding climate conditions, they seem to be perfect where I'm at, we even have an Azalea festival here :)

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Have all of the green growing leaves appeared after transplanting and root pruning? I agree with @Shibui comments. Well stated.

Helpful, perhaps required, if you add your general location to your profile so you’re ready for future recommendations if you ask questions.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
An Azalea festival sounds interesting. If you go, take some photos to post here. I’m sure there would be some highly interesting flowers and Azalea plantings.

binwow

Seedling
Reaction score
No they were already there, the only prunning I did was on bigger branches and cut them back to where the foliage seemed better.

binwow

Seedling
Reaction score
An Azalea festival sounds interesting. If you go, take some photos to post here. I’m sure there would be some highly interesting flowers and Azalea plantings.
I didn't manage to go this year because I was out of the island but I will try to find some information about it, even the park where they do the festival is quite amazing and unique :)

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Those new leaves on the trunk of the plant look fine. So it should be good to go.
I would just let it grow for at least 1 year, unpruned. See what branches it pushes out. And then see if you can wire those branches into a wavy position. So that it fans out some longer branches from the main trunk.
Getting taper in the main trunk line will be a very long term project, if that is your alternative.

binwow

Seedling
Reaction score
Those new leaves on the trunk of the plant look fine. So it should be good to go.
I would just let it grow for at least 1 year, unpruned. See what branches it pushes out. And then see if you can wire those branches into a wavy position. So that it fans out some longer branches from the main trunk.
Getting taper in the main trunk line will be a very long term project, if that is your alternative.
I would love to put it on the ground but my garden space is not that big and I have a dog that enjoys doing is private things on my new stuff lol every time a new tree/plant comes in the garden he makes sure to mark his territory lol lost quite a few hydrangeas due to this :/ I'm planning on setting up some raised garden beds but I would like to grow some food, might not have enough space to cranck my trees

Top Bottom