Azalea Rescued from the Bargain section

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pretty sure it’s an Azalea Poukhanense Compacta Flowering Shrub Not a Kurume?

Cheers
DSD sends

Thanks. I am not well versed in the types of Azalea, so this isnt a Kurume?
If not, where are these classified in the realm of azaleas?
I dont know if you can even answer that question lol?

*Edit* Did a search and seems these are a Korean Azalea

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Gosh….Poukhanenese Azaleas come from Korea. They are a native azalea. Very hardy, yet with some styling challenges… as many natives have

Kurumes are hybrids that originally were hybridized in the area of Kurume, Japan. They were named after the area…. Popularized in US after a worlds fair exhibition in San Fran and Mr Domoto bought a bunch.… around 1910….etc….

Satsuki are also originally Japanese hybrids. They have developed are lots of hybrids from a couple main Japanese native azalea.

…and there it begins to get very complicated due to the waves of hybridization in Europe and US and maybe elsewhere. @Glaucus is the man to explain this complicated tale. and not sure it fits with this thread.

….but this site, with tabs fo different categories explains things pretty well in plain language…. it may not be complete as it’s limited to the NY Botanical Gardens extensive collection.

Hope that helps.
Cheers
DSD sends

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Gosh….Poukhanenese Azaleas come from Korea. They are a native azalea. Very hardy, yet with some styling challenges… as many natives have

Kurumes are hybrids that originally were hybridized in the area of Kurume, Japan. They were named after the area…. Popularized in US after a worlds fair exhibition in San Fran and Mr Domoto bought a bunch.… around 1910….etc….

Satsuki are also originally Japanese hybrids. They have developed are lots of hybrids from a couple main Japanese native azalea.

…and there it begins to get very complicated due to the waves of hybridization in Europe and US and maybe elsewhere. @Glaucus is the man to explain this complicated tale. and not sure it fits with this thread.

….but this site, with tabs fo different categories explains things pretty well in plain language…. it may not be complete as it’s limited to the NY Botanical Gardens extensive collection.

Hope that helps.
Cheers
DSD sends

I guess I should have edited further. I was happy with just the realization that it's a Korean azalea but I do very much appreciate the greater detail you provided. I learned some things I did not know so thank you

Top Bottom