Azalea Soil Mix

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So I just picked up a nice red azalea at Lowes for $10 and gonna try and bonsai him. This is my first azalea and I've heard they prefer more acidic soil. I've read a Kanuma mix is good for them. I have Akadama, Pine Bark, Lava Rock, and Perilite. Will any or a specific mix of these work for the azalea's needs?

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Id use all of those except perlite
You could also find a place where blueberries grow and take some soil from there. They love acidic soil. But I have no idea if you have wild blueberries in Texas.
But you can use the same principle with other acid loving plants

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Id use all of those except perlite
You could also find a place where blueberries grow and take some soil from there. They love acidic soil. But I have no idea if you have wild blueberries in Texas.
But you can use the same principle with other acid loving plants
I'm still newer so just learning about more acidic soil mixes. Is there a specific ratio you'd recommend and will I need to add an acidic fertilizer or additive to help?
Unfortunately no wild blueberries anywhere I know of around me in Texas unfortunately.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well the pH should be below 6, maybe around 5. Youll have to do some investigating on your own, I have too litlle experience with azalea to know for sure.

I know Kanuma works even pure and many growers love it, but personally I wouldnt spend money on that

I also dont know if akadama keeps its properties at low pH

Maybe try lava rock with decomposed pine (or other conifer) needles

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Can you get pumice? I read somewhere that kanuma is basically acidic pumice. Pumice is easy to find and way cheaper, so that's what I plan to use when I repot my azalea, along with some spagnum moss for increased moisture retention (it's dry here) and, then I'll suppliment with Miracid or other acidfiers. You could add a little pine bark, I think, for some natural acidity and additional moisture retention if needed. But I'm new at this too, so someone else probably knows more.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
None of the rocks/fake-baked-clay-rocks contribute to pH. Some, including Perlite are porous and retain more moisture than plain rocks.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I just add some peat, and some composted pine bark to my standard inorganic mix for acidity... they like it.. so far.

🤓

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have mixed my own soil now, in part using what I suggested. Azaleas have been planted. It is purely organic. I will report back in a few months, if I havent posted by June, send me a reminder

Jboy2424

Sapling
Reaction score
I use kanuma, if I don't have any --- I have taken the time to do some acidic composting. I will collect maple leaves and mix them with pine bark and some soil I get from under my pine trees, the more pine needled the better. I've even put Christmas tree cuttings in the mulch bin. Throughout the year I'll add coffee grinds and whatever ruffage we are discarding. I usually take some compost about 25% and mix that with about 30% fine pine bark, and finish the rest with mule mix (similar to turface) I get at the local farmer's co-op for about 12 dollars for 50 lbs. This mixture has worked great for different acid loving plants. Once in a while I may throw in sand or a soil amendment to add microbes depending on what's being potted or planted.

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
I grow rhododendron and azalea in ericaceous compost for non bonsai patio plants in normal nursery pots. My bonsai I use kanuma or if I cant get kanuma I use akadama, pumic, lava 3:1:1 and I only water with rain water as the tap water here is so hard you have to chew it.

Jboy2424

Sapling
Reaction score
I grow rhododendron and azalea in ericaceous compost for non bonsai patio plants in normal nursery pots. My bonsai I use kanuma or if I cant get kanuma I use akadama, pumic, lava 3:1:1 and I only water with rain water as the tap water here is so hard you have to chew it.
I do the same thing more or less - kanuma - unless I don't have any. I also use that mix for camellias adding more sand and some "muck" from Minnesota (refined manure).

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I do the same thing more or less - kanuma - unless I don't have any. I also use that mix for camellias adding more sand and some "muck" from Minnesota (refined manure).
Camellias I use kanuma or the Mix stated above, for stewartia I use only the akadama mix as stewartia roots are too aggressive for kanuma

Jboy2424

Sapling
Reaction score
Camellias I use kanuma or the Mix stated above, for stewartia I use only the akadama mix as stewartia roots are too aggressive for kanuma
I take it you are referring to bonsai camellia. I only have one camellia bonsai and I just use compost, pine bark, sand, and mule mix - and I only fertilize this with cotton seed meal. I make sure to repot yearly and carefully move to slightly larger pot. But, for me growing this plant is strictly for bloom, my wife's preference. I rarely will gib one bloom too.

Jboy2424

Sapling
Reaction score
I should have added the comment that this would only be something I would do for short period of time for a bonsai until I picked up the preferred potting media. oops! (I didn't know there was a time limit on editing)

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I take it you are referring to bonsai camellia. I only have one camellia bonsai and I just use compost, pine bark, sand, and mule mix - and I only fertilize this with cotton seed meal. I make sure to repot yearly and carefully move to slightly larger pot. But, for me growing this plant is strictly for bloom, my wife's preference. I rarely will gib one bloom too.
Kanuma for bonsai camilia ericaceous compost for non bonsai plant

Top Bottom